• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Continuation of the theme

This photo is one of many I made on several visits to the Kalaluau Overlook on the west side of Kauai. This feature is in Koke'e State park, near the end of the main access road. It can be considered as the edge of the famous Nepali Coast. The scene is so compelling that each person rushes from the parking lot, is overcome by the scene, and intoxicated, fires their point-n-shoot in every direction. The location is a photographer's dream in that it is constantly changing. Beneath the overlook at 4000 ft is an indentation in the mountains, a valley, allowing you to see the the ocean breaking in the distance. One moment the valley can be completely fogged in and opaque; in just a few minutes the fog may recede, to be replaced by bright sun and the most saturated palette imaginable. The earth is red-tinged and there are so many shades of green, the camera is helpless to record it. In an earlier posts, Teeth of the Sea and A Postcard from Kauai, I presented other views from exactly the same spot but in different conditions.

In this thread, the photo is an attempt to capture the unusual weather and lighting. And I have to tell you it was magical, one takes these pictures as mental images too, to be remembered when needed. I used a 24-105 IS lens @ f13 on my 5D ISO 500.

1328MG_0542-web.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nathaniel,

Thanks for again sharing. Again I like the soft image. The view in magnificent. The sea is the minimum for this picture! Congrats on the shot!

Asher