• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Teeth of the sea

Another one from the Kalaluau Lookout on the Island of Kauai. The view point is about 4000 ft. above sea level. The colors can never be "real" but this represents what I saw rather faithfully. These jagged teeth are often bathed in mist and clouds, accounting for the plants clinging to the shear rock faces.

Obviously, the composition emphasizes the diagonals and attempts to balance the bright lighting on the cliffs with the much closer foreground of dark red earth tones and green trees for which Kauai is famous.

1328985_web-med.jpg

Hi Nathanial
I'd meant to comment on this image the day it appeared but got sidetracked by thinking and writing about neologisms in another thread in this forum. First thoughts were that the scenery is amazing and the photograph splendid. First feelings were envy: wishing I was there instead of here where springtime is emerging far too slowly :)

Viewing it again tonight did nothing to alter that impression, with the envy only slightly diminished after the first sunny warm day of the year. But then I decided to adopt a critical pose and try to figure out how the photo might be improved. Here's what I came up with.

1. If the photo were a postcard, I'd buy it in an instant. If it were on a gallery wall, I wouldn't. Why the difference? A postcard shows something beautiful to share with friends and relatives or serves as a memento of a wonderful time. A good postcard is something to value, and I often buy multiple copies to send and keep. A picture in a gallery must have another purpose for me to buy and subsequently hang it on my wall. It must transcend natural beauty (which we're surrounded with up here, despite my frustration with the current weather) and show something deeper that makes me want to view it again and again.

2.The cloud/mist in the middle of the picture is both informative and a distraction. I'd initially thought it sea spray until reading that the distance from rocks to sea was thousands of feet. That is what the photo doesn't convey well: an impression of the height/distance of the rocks to the sea. Photographers more knowledgeable than I am could probably offer advice on how to convey that information better through choice of lens and composition.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Mike

Mike,

I appreciate that you took the time think about the picture and to write a critique. I am sure you are correct in your analysis. The Kalaluau Overlook is essentially a photo cliche. How to convey the distance, and atmospheric conditions in a way that transends mere documentation is clearly the issue. And it is obvious that I haven't solved this problem, I hope to try again. And I would love to have suggestions for improving the compostion. I have already experimented with wide-wide and medium telephoto compositions, as some of my other posts demonstrate. So, it's not that simple.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Nathaniel,

I am sorry I wasn't able to react earlier to the recent pictures you've posted. But I have nevertheless enjoyed looking at them, thanks for showing.

Re. this one, I don't want to go into any analysis or critique right now, I am not in the mood for that. But I like it. Combined with the title you have chosen (Teeth of the Sea), the photo has reminded me one of my favourite poems by Garcia Lorca:

The Ballad of the Salt-Water (by Garcia Lorca)

The sea
smiles far-off.
Spume-teeth,
sky-lips.

‘What do you sell, troubled child,
child with naked breasts?’

‘Sir, I sell
salt-waters of the sea.’

‘What do you carry, dark child,
mingled with your blood?’

‘Sir, I carry
salt-waters of the sea.’

‘These tears of brine
where do they come from, mother?’

‘Sir, I cry
salt-waters of the sea.’

‘Heart, this deep bitterness,
where does it rise from?’

‘So bitter, the salt-waters
of the sea!’

The sea
smiles far-off.
Spume-teeth.
Sky-lips.

Looking at the photo again this morning, Nathaniel, I noticed that the sea's waves seem to contain about as much detail as the trees and rocks. If there were significantly more detail in the latter than former, it would surely increase an impression of distance. What I'm suggesting is that a wide open lens focussed on the trees/rocks might help. Do you have the lens apperture value for this photo? Also, what was the focal length of the lens?
Cheers
Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Nathaniel,

I was distracted and missed this! However, I agree with the comments and really interested in Cem's poem. They do go together well.

I'll return to your photo later and one day I must visit to get "cliche" pictures like this! :)

Asher

Cem,

It was very thoughtful of you to provide that poem. It's nice to be introduced to something like that, something that I would ordinarily find on my own.

-Nat

Charlotte Thompson

Beautiful shot really
comes alive
with salt spray feeling-
I could write a poem but I thought you couldnt write poetry in these forums
I am a poet/writer

Charlotte