• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

One vision of plants

Michel BRAUD

I made a long serie of this type of pictures, I started in B&W printing on ink-jet glossy paper.
At the time, few years ago, pure carbon pigments were far from ideal on this type of paper, showing glow differiential and bronzing.
Everyone wanted to get rid-off these "artifacts". But I found a real advantage on bronzing and tried to get as much as possible and obtained some lovely golden prints. To do that, I had to start from colour pictures and tweak them heavily in PS and find the worst paper I could find, the one giving the more bronzing possible.
The bad thing is this can be seen only on the prints, not on the screen.
Today this paper is no longer on sale so I decided to get back to my original files and work on them for colour, here they are.
Comments are welcome.

N%b001-copy.jpg

N%b002-copy.jpg

N%b003-copy.jpg

N%b004-copy.jpg

Chris Kresser

Michel,

I am delighted by the delicate interplay of line, form, color and empty space in this series. The minimalist design of the first four is especially appealing to me.

I also love the way you used the branches and stems to create dynamic compositions that add visual tension to the pictures. They are elegant and quite sensual, but in an understated way.

Thanks for sharing the series,
Chris

Hi Michael,

I don't know if this is an original compositional style but I really like it. I would love to see you develop it further. As they are, they are really decorative, sparce and graphic. Can other design elements, for example lighting or compositing, extend this idea and provide a greater emotional range?

-Nat

I made a long serie of this type of pictures, I started in B&W printing on ink-jet glossy paper.
At the time, few years ago, pure carbon pigments were far from ideal on this type of paper, showing glow differiential and bronzing.
Everyone wanted to get rid-off these "artifacts". But I found a real advantage on bronzing and tried to get as much as possible and obtained some lovely golden prints. To do that, I had to start from colour pictures and tweak them heavily in PS and find the worst paper I could find, the one giving the more bronzing possible.
The bad thing is this can be seen only on the prints, not on the screen.
Today this paper is no longer on sale so I decided to get back to my original files and work on them for colour, here they are.
Comments are welcome.

N%b001-copy.jpg

N%b002-copy.jpg

N%b003-copy.jpg

N%b004-copy.jpg

Michel BRAUD

Hi Michael,

I don't know if this is an original compositional style but I really like it. I would love to see you develop it further. As they are, they are really decorative, sparce and graphic. Can other design elements, for example lighting or compositing, extend this idea and provide a greater emotional range?

-Nat

I did develop further, here is an example :

N%b009-copy.jpg
Cyclamen-Color-copy-3.jpg

Gorgeous. Zen and powerfull at the same time, due to sharp graphism and strong colors, magnified by a delicate lighting. That's really my feeling : both delicate and strong.

Charlotte Thompson

I like these because they have such an interesting translucent almost glazed effect
as if they were ancient plants found inside of rocks during the glacier period-
also reminds me of a wonderful fifties look-modern almost cold abstract

Charlotte

These are great simple looking photographs...... The only one I don't like is in the last example.. I am not fond of the blue example. I would probably like a nice b&w conversion, the blue is not my cup of tea. The compositions on all are very good. The start white background works very well with all. Wonderful work....