• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cross-roads

This photo is a montage, composed with two original pictures. Each picture contained a lonely character, the meeting of the 2 men is artificial and created by the digital post-production in Photoshop. I have voluntarily let some traces of the process, by superimposing several similar frames, to suggest that photographer has modified reality. The cross-shape is there to symbolize the virtual meeting. But maybe it's also an unconscious religious reminiscence ...?

fragmentsoriginalaf7.jpg

Cedric,

This is quite a thought provoking contribution. Your discussion and rationale is very helpful. I like it as it is but since you are combining images, I wonder if you considered more drastic measures? For example, how would this image work if the foreground was trimmed a bit, and the distant bit behind the bridge extended? In that case, one might reinforce the religious symbolism by adding the stonework, top and bottom.

-Nat

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cedric,

I think Nathaniel has a point and it would be fun to try. Nathaniel does have a good eye.

Myself however, I like the image. I's ask you what influences do you think are behind this picture you have created?

Asher

Nathaniel,

It's a good idea : it would create a kind of double-cross, one formed by bridge and canal, other one by the frames. However, i don't have a lot of matters to extend the top of the picture but maybe i could try.

Asher,

Absolutely no real idea of why i made this picture ! Once again, it was a kind of pulsion, i got this idea of creating a montage with two photos when i saw this bridge on the canal with some people who were crossing it. I was trying to make pictures about loneliness in town, you can't see it but it was in december, a very cold morning. I was also interested by concept of capturing reality in photographs and objectivity of what we can see.

This cross-shape could also be seen as a symbol of pharmacy, i don't know.

In fact, it is quite a romantic-style photograph : dark water with floating leaves, black silhouettes who are ignoring each other, stonework and foam...