• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Old and New Tea Kettles

Charlotte Thompson

both kettles were taken early morning kitchen light

I like the look and different treatments of the new stainless and my old Cajun kettle from my Grandmother-comments and crits welcomed-

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0006-4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting subject, Charlotte.

I like the patina of the old. The challenge is this. Can you possible get in to a composition involving both? If you have long shadows of late evening and the glint off the setting sun in the copper, that would be just one way. Of course, you may not want to do that and that's fine. The old works well. The new is blown in the higlight.

Asher

I find the blown highlight on the first kettle, and the hotspot on the ?wall? above it extremely distracting. I like the texture/finish of the first kettle, but the messy reflections detract.

Try using some black cloth to hide you and the camera next time so you and the rest of the kitchen aren't reflected in the base.

Charlotte Thompson

Asher and Charles

what great information-

as I see what you see-
A confirmation of 2- an overlay of the 2
If I don;t understand please let me know!

spring1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Charlotte,

That's the start of thinking! I would think of width. I'd shoot it again.

Don't fence yourself in by what you have already done.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Charlotte,

What you have done catches the eye but can it engage one longer. What one needs is a system of placement and composition so that the lighting and the form unite everything together to become a compelling unity.

spring4.jpg

This, however, while it catches the eye, (of course we cannot help that with a double image), it does not call for deeper involvement. I'm not saying that some part of a picture cannot be appearing twice. However, there is no agreeable form that binds one to the picture.

Is their a reason in terms of some universe created to get folk to bring themselves and others back to this. The answer is no.

Look at the picture of the empty cold wasteland with overhead somber clouds to infinity and this then is an example of a picture one can re-enter time and again.

Look at Jim Galli's still life pictures or Ken's pictures of the trees silhouetted against the sky.

You have two very good shapes, the old kettle with patina and the new copper one. If you use very broad lighting the reflections on the copper kettle will be tamed. Then place the two of them together in a corner by a window or however you feels makes them work together in unity, balancing and contrasting, with light defining their character.

This is no simplistic 5 minute job. It might take hours, days or weeks of experimentation with window light at a particular time of day and the right amount of cloud cover or fine cotton curtains to filter the light. That is where your own artistry will speak to you.

However, to place these objects in the kitchen and accept whatever reflects in the copper and then give us two layers doesn't give us the experience that you can deliver. Think about this. You certainly have the imagination. That quality has to move you away from what's obvious. If this was easy, everyone would be able to do it and the value of artwork would plummet. The fact is that anyone can point a camera and get a picture.

I know I'm tough but I you will allow me this excess to make this better.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

you are not tough my friend-you are a softie"
I don't know if I will do much more with these
I have been thinking of better composition like you suggested but my brain is a blank so far-
you are the best-thank you

Charlotte-