• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No title I

Cem_Usakligil

mbvb-5_2.jpg

Please feel free to comment if you wish to. TIA.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This, Cem, is a remarkable way of presenting your photography as the very placement of the two parts, itself adds to the experience and that seems to bring us in. I would ask if you might consider taking a 2-3 cm strip of the bottom and adding in a seam like the one above. That will neutralize the tension from the incomplete ceiling. The latter is so strong that, IMHO, it could benefit from either completion by creating that section or else counterbalancing it as I have suggested.

I'll add more.

Of course, I find this continues your obsession, if I may use that strong word, on portals. Here we observe in a God-like manner, but to make that more fully realized, I'd like to see how the extra section below might work.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

This, Cem, is a remarkable way of presenting your photography as the very placement of the two parts, itself adds to the experience and that seems to bring us in. I would ask if you might consider taking a 2-3 cm strip of the bottom and adding in a seam like the one above. That will neutralize the tension from the incomplete ceiling. The latter is so strong that, IMHO, it could benefit from either completion by creating that section or else counterbalancing it as I have suggested.

I'll add more.

Of course, I find this continues your obsession, if I may use that strong word, on portals. Here we observe in a God-like manner, but to make that more fully realized, I'd like to see how the extra section below might work.

Asher
Hi Asher,

Thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated. I am afraid I don't understand what you mean when you say add a seam like the one above? Could you pls explain a bit more? Thanks again.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
There is a line of white space that appears as if it's a seam between two separate photographs. Actually it may be just a white strip painted on the upper part of the wall. Still it serves to separate the long portrait picture into geometric components. The top part with its bold plaster frame motif is in complete and expands in perspective as it approaches us. This aggressive feature needs, IMHO to be counterbalanced in order to allow attention to be devoted to the portal and the figure.

So instead of removing the top, adding a white stripe by cutting out a portion of the image and having white showing through, might accomplish the balance I feel is wanting.

My tordu vision perhaps, but there you are!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

There is a line of white space that appears as if it's a seam between two separate photographs. Actually it may be just a white strip painted on the upper part of the wall. Still it serves to separate the long portrait picture into geometric components. The top part with its bold plaster frame motif is in complete and expands in perspective as it approaches us. This aggressive feature needs, IMHO to be counterbalanced in order to allow attention to be devoted to the portal and the figure.

So instead of removing the top, adding a white stripe by cutting out a portion of the image and having white showing through, might accomplish the balance I feel is wanting.

My tordu vision perhaps, but there you are!

Asher
Oh I see. You've got it a bit wrong I'm afraid. It is not a white strip painted on the wall. It is a recess in the wall where it meets the ceiling within which the lights are located. You can see the indirect lighting reflect on the ceiling a bit further. Nevertheless, I still appreciate your arguments for balancing the composition and I admit it is a tempting thought. But I think right now that the balance of the picture and the composition are just as they should be :).

Mike Shimwell

Hi Cem

I see what you're getting at here, but a part of me wants to see symmetry where the ceiling edges cut the frame and in the doors to frame right and left - it's probalby the mathematician in me escaping... I do like the colour contrast between the areas of the frame, I still smile when I shoot indoors under tungsten with daylight flooding in behing.

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem

I see what you're getting at here, but a part of me wants to see symmetry where the ceiling edges cut the frame and in the doors to frame right and left - it's probalby the mathematician in me escaping... I do like the colour contrast between the areas of the frame, I still smile when I shoot indoors under tungsten with daylight flooding in behing.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I understand where you are coming from. I'll let you in on the secret. Since I don't have a very expensive TS lens, this picture was taken using a measly EF 17-40L f4 lens @17mm. So nothing was straight to start with, including the reclining walls, door posts, ceilings, what have you. So I ended up doing extreme perspective correction in the post to get straights straight. This has unfortunately meant that I've lost some details to the sides and in the ceiling. But the end result is the picture I had in my mind, so I do try to forget the imperfections of this composition :).

Cheers,