• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Kapeenkoski, -20 degrees

Jarmo Juntunen

A few from a chilly outing this morning.

Old mill and a guard

_img1280.jpg

Sunrise

_img1280.jpg

Birchtrees

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Maggie, thanks! Agreed, 40 C is pretty intense. We had no wind yesterday so the temperature didn't feel too bad. Batteries exhausted pretty fast, though...

Robert Watcher

Striking photos. It has been a few years since I have felt -40C temps. Haven't been back in Canada in the winter for a while. For us it's been more like +40C most days. Seeing your images though, reminds me of the endearing qualities of winter and the cold.

According to the Weather Network, it's -47 degrees C (-52 degrees F) today in Thunder Bay today if you include wind chill. There was almost no wind when I went out wearing just a sweater to start the cars, so -33 degrees on my Saturn's thermometer seemed about right. The trusty 13-year-old Saturn started first time with barely a whimper, although the Subaru complained a bit. Too bad General Motors discontinued the plastic-bodied Saturn line that were grand for a Canadian winter.

Love the photos Jarmo. Cheers, Mike.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
According to the Weather Network, it's -47 degrees C (-52 degrees F) today in Thunder Bay today if you include wind chill. There was almost no wind when I went out wearing just a sweater to start the cars, so -33 degrees on my Saturn's thermometer seemed about right. The trusty 13-year-old Saturn started first time with barely a whimper, although the Subaru complained a bit. Too bad General Motors discontinued the plastic-bodied Saturn line that were grand for a Canadian winter.

Love the photos Jarmo. Cheers, Mike.

When I was Rochester New York, we had to have special heaters to be able to reliably start in the winter mornings! I guess cars have improved for the Saturn to start with no complaints!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A few from a chilly outing this morning.

Old mill and a guard

_img1280.jpg

Jarmo,

The three pictures give a good sense of the harsh cold weather you are having!

I find this one picture especially interesting with the odd angle contributing to the feeling of trudging through the snow and avoiding ice or other obstacles. I find the window on the left an interesting element and wonder whether one could bring out the reflected sky to be more evident.

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi all and thanks! The cold period did not last long this time and we're back at about 0 - 1 temperatures. Good thing I had a few days off so I could go out on a colder day!

We use engine (or block) heaters up here. Most of them are electical, so parking lots are lined with electric outlets. Gadgets like that are a must in a climate that we have.

Hi all and thanks! The cold period did not last long this time and we're back at about 0 - 1 temperatures. Good thing I had a few days off so I could go out on a colder day!

We use engine (or block) heaters up here. Most of them are electical, so parking lots are lined with electric outlets. Gadgets like that are a must in a climate that we have.

Electric outlets for block heaters are common here, too, Jarmo. However, most folk (including ourselves) rarely use them because their cars start, with maybe a few grumbles, in temperatues down to -35 to -40 C not counting wind chill.

Some intrepid (or silly) souls ride pedal bikes with motorcycle-sized tyres throughout the winter. They're called "fat bikes" because of the tyres that provide good traction in snow and ice. Here's a photo of a Surly fat bike made in Minnesota. I'm told that Surly was the company that pioneered these bicycles. Fat bike racing in snow or over sand dunes (in Australia) became quite a fad.

fat_bike_in_snow_img_0175_snapseed_by_rufusthered-d8d5k3h.jpg

I bought a fat bike during the summer and ride it happily in temperatures down to -10 C. Here's a photo of me and my fat bike taken during the summer. I don't have a picture of riding it in the snow. Cheers, Mike.

fat_bike_img_0434_snapseed_by_rufusthered-d8d5nxy.jpg

Jarmo Juntunen

Hi Mike, thanks for an interesting post! Fat bikes are becoming quite popular here, as well. A lot of people do like riding a bike throughout the year. I commute some 40 km a day, so my biking is limited to the summer months.

Jarmo Juntunen

Thanks Jim and Antonio! Jim, I used my old and reliable Eos D50 that seems to cope with cold without any trouble. I had a spare battery in my pocket. I really need to get newer batteries as the two I had with me died in less than 45 minutes.

Antonio, I haven't thought of printing it yet. Probably I will.