• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: Capture one $60

I have used PhaseOne's Capture 1 for about 4 years --time of quite a bit of evolutionary changes-- with my digital back.

Now I am preparing myself to going in to the Canon EOS 5D2 and recently got a Canon G11 so I need to be able to convert Canon raw files.

Phase One provides the DB version of their PRO program for freee to process Phase backs.

So I just purchased the Phase One 5.1.2 for $64,00 USD

This is NOT the PRO version of Phase One that costs about $400 --and that I can not afford at the time--

The PRO and non PRO differences are:

*no tethered direct shoot in to C1
*no compose shots from monitor with Live Preview
*no Focus Mask
*no multiple monitor support
*no customize workspace
*no Styles tool
*no selective Color Editor tool
*no individual color channel RGB curves
*no Skin Tone Enhancer
*no dust and spots tool
*no Lens Correction tool
*no image rights protection watermark

From this, I will probably miss: Lens Corrections tool, (customize workspace is nice as is multiple monitor support) and Focus Mask etc.

But the main raw conversion tool High Dinamic Range, copy and paste image adjustments, WEB GALLERIES, work while you process capability, metadata wholesale editing etc... all for $60 is an interesting deal.

One question --that I am waiting response from Phase-- is this: How do I work with two versions of Capture One, a PRO version that only processes P25 files and a non-PRO one that I purchased to work with my CANON files...

The one feature that I will also miss is the tethered shooting capability with a CANON camera, but I think that I can use the EOS software to control and shoot the DSLR and import to a file that will show the RAW on Capture One. I have seen a friend do that and it will probably be a bit of learning curve worth the trouble...

[Disclosure: I have no interest whatsoever in anyone purchasing a PhaseOne product, but I think that this offer may be interested to other OPS members, so I am reproducing it here]

Prices: Capture One 5 Summer Offer Crazy Summer Offer - Only three days left!
The offer is only valid for the basic version of Capture One 5 and expires 18th June 2010.

Capture One 5
Euro 49.50 / USD 64.50

Upgrade from Capture One 4 to Capture One 5
Euro 34.50 / USD 49.50

Upgrade from Capture One 3 to Capture One 5
Euro 34.50 / USD 49.50

--Use voucher code: CO5OFFER ---

Two Capture One versions

Ok, I got my set up working, and this is the way it works.

I get to use the DB version for the back files OR the Captuere One -non PRO- to work with CANON files ... I only have to open one or the other as required (both versions cannot be on at same time)

Wen I get an extra $300 I will upgrade to PRO ...

I like the simplicity of the $64 version of C1, I will run son CANON files to see how it works...

Ok, I got my set up working, and this is the way it works.

I get to use the DB version for the back files OR the Captuere One -non PRO- to work with CANON files ... I only have to open one or the other as required (both versions cannot be on at same time)

Wen I get an extra $300 I will upgrade to PRO ...

I like the simplicity of the $64 version of C1, I will run son CANON files to see how it works...

Hi Leonardo,

That good to hear. It's a good entry price for the non-Pro C1 version (and it will make upgrading a bit cheaper).

The tethering offered by the accompanying Canon software is much more useful for most users. It allows much more control than just pressing the shutter remotely. Of the lens corrections in the Pro version, I find the chromatic aberration correction and sharpness fall-off correction most useful. Being able to adjust dust and spots is a workflow improvement, especially when processing many similar shots which allow to apply the dust correction in batch.

Cheers,
Bart

Bernhard Rees

One question --that I am waiting response from Phase-- is this: How do I work with two versions of Capture One, a PRO version that only processes P25 files and a non-PRO one that I purchased to work with my CANON files...

A straight forward approach to solve this issue is to install the Pro and non-Pro version in 2 separate directories with different names. During setup of the license file all the rest is managed by the software. Unfortunately I can not answer whether there is any difference in installations run on WIN and MAC computers to sort out this issue in this way. It definitely works on WIN operated computers.

Regards,

Bernhard