• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A interesting story

ericevans

What is wrong with service people . I had a computer person working on my system and they did me a favor and plugged my cables back in . They broke a usb port and plugged a firewire in upside down on a 10K piece of gear running power through a part of the cable that should not have power . I call the company that built the scanner and they say someone plugged your firewire in wrong if it does not work as that is the only thing that could cause that . I looked at the cable and sure enough it was plugged in wrong . I asked if they would write a report and they said no problem , this happens to scanners all the time . Now I pay for the repair and now they refuse to write anything more than scanner had a firewire problem and needed a new board and charged me $1600 to replace the board . This really sucks . They lied to me because I said if you cant write the report I will hire someone else to trace the problem and repair it and they say no problem . I need to sue the company that damaged it and now I get to send it to an electrical engineer for $3-500 so I can have them tell me what I already know . The company that built the scanner says they have no equipment to diagnose problems on a board with and they only replace parts until the scanner works . What the hell kind of service department is this ? I bet when the engineer looks at the board he will be able to repair the burned part instead on an entire board .

Where the hell is the customer service ? Why can't a tech that tells you there is only one thing that can cause that problem write it down on a piece of paper so you can get your money back for the repair ? I wonder if they are covering their asses on a known design flaw ? Does anyone know of other Imacon owners that have had this happen to their scanners ?

What does this have to do with medium format digital ? Well , the same company that designed the scanner also sells digital backs and I wondering if they have left an opening for damage to the digital backs as well . I know Canon has a protection circuit on their cameras since the guy that worked on my computer fried a Canon camera as well , Canon fixed it for free . Why would any company build a device that is open to electrical damage from a firewire cable . Both ends of the firewire cable are the same so it doesn't matter what end goes where .

If anyone knows of a photographer who has had the same thing happen to their scanner PLEASE contact me .

Frank Cizek

What is wrong with service people .
The same thing that's wrong everywhere else? Maybe it would help to have a <RANT> forum? :D I could use one, too.

I had an interesting conversation yesterday. Janice Wood, Editor for “General Aviation News”, called for credentials to cover this weekends events at the Air Show near Ann Arbor, MI, & here's the gist of what she was told by Kevin Walsh: "Young lady, you're not a major media outlet & normally requests for credentials are handled months in advance in any case!" She hung up on them.
GAN does a Museum Issue every Spring, & they, as an organization, just blew her off! I could rant for about an hour on them!
rotfl2.gif

Sid Jervis

pro member
Jeez, that was somewhat condescending!
It might be a good idea if she printed the story in the next edition.

$0.02

Ray West

Hi Frank,

I have no comprehension of the organistations or persons you mention, but you have printed 'the gist' of it. If the sentence you have quoted was all that Kevin Walsh said, then it may have been impolite of him, but like the op in this topic, its not even half the story.

I can, however, imagine your anger. I suspect that GAN will be able to fill the pages with something more interesting - one door closes, twenty more open.

Best wishes,

Ray