• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Good bye Willy Ronis - A giant is gone

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Sad news.

Willy Ronis has left our world yesterday… He was 99.

Willy Ronis was doing social portraits and described the life from a "popular" wiew point.
Among his immense work and tremendous talent, he has been the first French photographer to work for Life Magazine.
He has given all his work to the French state.

More about him here

17407.jpg

Source

fahim mohammed

Yes Nicolas, indeed considered by many to be ' the' paris photographer. Of course, he is most famous
for the photograph of his wife.

May he rest in peace.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Another Hero From France Lost!

Thanks Nicolas!

You bring to our attention the passing of an important and creative figure in 20th Century Photography. I also appreciate being stimulated to now learn more of his life's work in the French crucible of photography.

Anne Marie
nuprovencal_bg.jpg

Source

This picture was also used for a book cover and their the color is bluer

WillyRonis.jpg

Willy Ronis Book cover: Anne Maire

I'm so impressed by the open freshness of this picture. It's delightful. I'm hooked! We might now study his pictures so that we can perhaps learn something from him. His photographs will outlast our own lives. Still, perhaps his photographic legacy might also inspire our work. I will now look for more of his pictures and become better educated.

Well, I was pleased to find one can still buy signed silver gelatin prints in London at Hackelbury.co.uk but there are not cheap!

placevendome_bg.jpg

Willy Ronis Place Vendome, 1947 Silver Gelatin print, signed on recto in ink.

11"x14" - $5500 + VAT, 16"x20" - $6900 + VAT are the current prices!

Think of Paris and listen to Edith Piaff sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b255tOFKD7A

Asher