• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sienna Tones! Autumn, Thanksgiving, the earth's bounty: Post your best!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is the time of year when Americans, representing every pretty well every human combination join family and friends to celebrate our life and give thanks. There's gratitude for natures bounty and for the fortune of yet another year.

People collect cones from evergreen trees and dried flowers and leaves for decoration. We make pumpkin pies and special breads and choose a huge turkey, enough to feed all the guests and then some. I came across these "cones" for want of a better word in an abandoned lot nearby. They start off pink and as they burst open and dry to release and scatter their bright red seeds. I'd love to know what kind of a tree they come from!

_MG_9370cone_red_seedsv4.jpg

Canon 5D EF 24-105 f4L IS at f 8.0 1/25 sec ISO 1000 filtered afternoon sun, processed in ACR

© 2007 Asher Kelman Please "Red Seeds from a Neglected Lot" Do not copy or download or edit

So I felt they would be perfect to go with a bowl of fruit and pumpkins and grabbed as much as I could and hence this photograph. What is it about these remnants of a bountiful earth that we need to gather them and enjoy them again and again?

I hope you will share your own photographs of nature's riches too!

Happy Thanksgiving no matter what! Yes the Turks, Dutch, French, British, French, Portuguese, Irish, Aussies too and our friends we have made all over the planet! That's India, China, Iran and Indonesia and everywhere in between! We hope you are all safe and have what to be thankful for.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

So here's how the "cones" fit in with fruit. Squash is fruit too!

_MG_9337cone_red_seedsandfruit_BowlFruit.jpg

Canon 5D EF 24-105 f4L IS at 45mm, f 7.1, 1/200 sec and ISO 1000 filtered afternoon sun, processed in ACR

© 2007 Asher Kelman "Abundance" Do not download, copy or edit

I hope you enjoy it too.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Who has pictures with these Sienna natural tones? Please lets see pictures of bounty, nature, woods, wooden structures, a sail boat and so forth!

Asher

Nice still life, Asher (the second one, with the pumpkin and the pomegranates--not that I don't like the first, but the second one has some great colors and textures). We've been having some nice fall color here in New York, but alas, the light, the trees, and I don't all seem to be on the same schedule this week.

Asher Kelman

Hi David,

Ever since we saw the pictures of Steve Teitelbaum's New York Central Park, here and here , I have been longing to go to see it for myself.

L1000179-b_Small.jpg

© 2006 Ron Teitelbaum edited by Fabio Riccardi

So these are my favorite colors since they are the ones from nature.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
No more boats, but some pics taken while on private journey to Venice, 2 weeks ago… Quickly processed in C1 to be posted here…

All shot handheld with 1Ds2 and Sigma 12-24…

_G8A3356.jpg

no crop

_G8A3350.jpg

cropped

_G8A3310.jpg

no crop

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Beautiful Janet, I feel I can grab these from my screen!

Did I say that Ashers 2nd photo is just awesome? Pretty nice "Nature morte"…

OK, a last one for now, not exactly OT as it is autumn, there's water, brown colors, trees but without branches ! (still Sigma 12-24, with perspective correction in CS3)

_G8A3407.jpg

John Harper

Autumn Tones

Hi There

Not sure if this qualifies but i post it anyway. Its a shot of a Lanner Falcon swooping down in front of some autumn leaved trees that are way out of focus thanks to the 500mm lens.

John

dickens-autumn.jpg

janet Smith

pro member
there's water, brown colors, trees but without branches !

Hello Nic

Thank you for the encouragement, I'll be making crab apple jelly from the crab apples soon, should be nice with roast pork at Christmas.....

Love both your boat shots, but particularly the first one, wish I was there.... Your glove trees are very nice, wish I had one growing in my garden!!..... and your trees without branches, very funny!!!!

Mike Harrold

Asher,

In your photograph of the cones and fruit, the cone near the front and farthest to the left appears like it is out of focus, while cones further back appear in focus and the cone in the front is in focus.

Could you explain what happened or is my monitor/eyes playing tricks on me?

Mike

janet Smith

pro member
Here it is, but in the mean time I have invited some friends…

Wish I was there Nic, I've just come in from walking in Brimham Rocks, looks a bit like a set from "The Flinstones" absolutely frozen, in need of something to eat, wish I was there...... (I'll post some shots either later today or maybe tomorrow) enjoy your food!!

Ray West

We have this shrub, we were told it was a pyrocanthus, but they are supposed to be evergreen, so I guess it's something else. Anyway, at a particular time of day, the sun sets the leaves on fire, (figuratively speaking). Its the brightest autumn leaf colour we have near here. (The green leaf is a bramble).

aut2.jpg

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

We have this shrub, we were told it was a pyrocanthus, but they are supposed to be evergreen, so I guess it's something else. Anyway, at a particular time of day, the sun sets the leaves on fire, (figuratively speaking). Its the brightest autumn leaf colour we have near here. (The green leaf is a bramble).

Ray,

A splendid sight! Now was this with your RW bi-magnifyer MarkII?

Asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

I'm afraid so ;-). I can get prettier snaps with this than with the 24-70L. I had to fiddle a bit in pp, to sharpen up the leaf, but otherwise more or less as taken, except for the 'near black' feathered frame.

I've not spent much time, but in some ways it's nice working with blunt tools. I have to select the subject fairly carefully. Choices are restricted, i.e. wrt aperture - it seems to be fixed at about 1.8, so the only control on exposure is iso and shutter speed. For focus, I have to move, and it is impossible with the 20d viewfinder, since the image is generally blurred, to determine the sharpest position, and sharp it isn't. I am sort of contemplating making it into a sort of zoom lens, primarily to give me a wider choice of subject size, but it would spoil the simplicity of the thing.

However, overall, if all the planets are lined up, and I've got a following wind, I think I can get a better and quicker result, than by using a 'proper lens'. I do not think any filter can get the same results, but I may try some ideas.

Best wishes,

Ray