• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Town full of donkeys

Doug Kerr

Carrizozo, New Mexico is a charming little town about 60 miles north of our home in Alamogordo. Its population today is only about 1000, but it is the county seat of Lincoln County (which is not quite as big as the state of Connecticut).

Recently, Carla and a number of members of her chapter of the Red Hat Society (a social order for mature women) traveled to Carrizozo for a day of shopping (the official Red Hat sport) and lunch.

A noted feature of the town is the many painted statues of donkeys on display in front of and inside many commercial establishments.

But this one seemed to especially resonate for us here.

G05121-01-S800.jpg

Carla C. Kerr: No, my nose never smears the monitor screen when I use the viewfinder

This fellow was showing off his compositional skills at the Tularosa Basin Gallery of Photography, an important venue for the works of New Mexico Photographers.

Tularosa Basin refers to the region bounded by the Sacramento Mountains on the east and the San Andres, Oscuro, and Organ Mountains on the west. Carrizozo lies at its northern end. It lies within the Chihuahuan Desert. We live just at its eastern edge.

This region is considered a basin rather than a valley as it does not contain, and was not created by, a river.​

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So do they give our unpainted plastic donkeys to different artists to decorate with their own design? Or do people make their own?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So do they give our unpainted plastic donkeys to different artists to decorate with their own design? Or do people make their own?

We don't know exactly how it works. We have encountered similar "projects" before, notably in Dallas, where painted horses were on display throughout the downtown area and beyond, and have read of similar projects elsewhere.

We think what happens is that some sponsoring organization (maybe a Chamber of Commerce) arranges to have the "blanks" made and then artists decorate them various ways. Then there is usually a context to judge the results. Then I think in some cases the finished works are auctioned off to private buyers, and then perhaps the sponsoring organization arranges for the rest to be deployed in the city.

I'll see if I can reconstruct one of those projects (in particular the one in Zozo, as Carrizozo is called in these parts).

Best regards,

Doug