• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Black-chinned Hummingbird

Doug Herr

The first Black-chinned Hummingbirds have arrived for the summer

bchumm16.jpg

bchumm17.jpg

bchumm18.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I love humming birds. They are so tiny and energetic. Some folks don't realize that the feeding behavior, (hovering by flowers with their long thin beaks taking in the nectar), is merely refueling for actual real food, and that is all the insects they can get!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
They have amazing metabolism that they don't get muscle cramps using fat when they are out of stores of carbs!

Asher

Doug Herr

An interesting factoid: comparing Anna's Hummingbirds and Black-chinned Hummingbirds through the viewfinder of my EVF camera, the viewfinder refresh rate vs. the hummingbirds' wingbeats is sufficiently different with the Anna's Hummingbird that the wings appear in random positions while the Black-chinned's wingbeats are almost perfectly synced with the refresh rate so watching the Black-chinned Hummingbird through the viewfinder is like watching the wings in slow-mo.