• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Black Bear

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Had some fun with this little black bear a few days ago. I love bears -

Canon 1DX Mark II
Canon 800mm L f5.6

Michael,

This is an 800 mm lens so I'd guess this was taken at about 200 meters or so! That is pretty damn close and hopefully very few other folk were nearby to annoy or attract the bear.

There are two sides to the coin. One has to be brave and fearless to take such beautiful pictures. Without these, who could canvas to protect the wild! We need to be familiar with the treasures wild places hold in order to give animals sanctuary from on
Very development.

But sports tourists can follow and that can be tragic!

Right now, Jaime and wife, I am in awe!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Jaime Johnson

This one was actually out the window of our 4-runner. We were in the mountains headed somewhere else when he popped up. We try to follow the rules with wildlife, try not to bother them or approach too close. We spend 4 or 5 days a week in the mountains photographing wildlife, we have learned what works and what doesn't.

Interesting, many times you can do well from the car. For some reason, wildlife will often hold for a car - but will spook if someone gets out with a tripod. We always have a couple beanbags handy (and remember to kill the engine to reduce shake).

Here is another of the same bear - non are cropped, they are as shot. Sometimes it can be a challenge to get it all in!

p2136872528-4.jpg

As far as gear, I love the lens. The 1DX Mark II is still new and I have to say, I'm not really a fan at this point. The metering seems to be off - these images were both shot -2/3 - seems everything needs to be shot around -1. I think it is a individual camera issue, not an overall design issue. I have friends with the same body that don't have the issue. Canon asked to see the camera so it will be going back next week for a checkup!