• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wave motions

Andy brown

The light straight into the lens make the details in the shadows very difficult to get.
I am sure you have got some NDF to get the movement of the water. Both, the first and the last one have some kind of beautiful threatening movement...

I lieve in Setúbal which is a town situated in a river mouth with large influence from the sea.
I sometimes go to nearby places where the ocean is just in front.
Yesterday my wife and myself we went to Ericeira in the west coast of Portugal a bit to the North. Ericeira faces the sea.
My sun - who is a completely mad man about sea, waves, water and connected sports - was there to make some kite surf. I was in a hill nearby making some shots using the Pana GX7 with a Nikon 200mm f/4.0 from 1974, Metabones in between. All shots @ f/8 and 1/2000s 200 ISO. Manual focusing with focus picking.
I made many pictures but I spoiled also many of them. The wind was so strong that, even using a solid tripod I couldn't avoid some shaking even at that speed !

i-xbmgJTH-X2.jpg

Great shot Antonio.
You live in a great place.
Occasionally we get to see footage of Nazzare (?) with HUGE waves, what an awesome sight it is. Do you ever get there?

Interesting that you detect camera movement at 1/2000th. I was brought up on the old maxim of shutter speed must equal focal length at least. That one is out the window and I'm still trying to ascertain the optimum balance between shutter speed and ISO with both long focal lengths and macro, especially in low light.
I didn't actually use an ND for those shots, ISO 32 (effectively) and F22 plus polariser. I think I was getting shutter speeds of 1/15th or 1/8th. I was using cable release and electronic front curtain.

Andy brown

An evolving series (I'm in my infancy of shooting waves, it will never end. Never).

A few from yesterday afternoon.

DSC_5491%20p%20screen%20size_zpsrif59mjv.jpg

DSC_5490%20p%20screen%20size_zpsctjwuzto.jpg

DSC_5718%20p%20screen%20size_zpshtu7sgyi.jpg

Andy brown

We had a fairly serious storm hit the East Coast of Oz last week, flood rains, strong winds and big seas. I would have loved to capture the waves at their peak but it was no place for a camera.
When the rain stopped I headed to the beach at dawn. I had to negotiate drifts of foam (four feet deep) and had a face plant when I took a blind step into a washout. a bit hard to show the scale but these were large waves 12 foot range I'd say/

DSC_7827%20p%20screen%20size_zpsybzqy720.jpg

DSC_7839%20p%20screen%20size_zps4vjz5ubc.jpg

DSC_7836%20p%20screen%20size_zpsayxq1cbq.jpg

DSC_7834%20p%20screen%20size_zpsb9vlgood.jpg

DSC_7826%20p%20screen%20size_zpsvdozrmss.jpg

Antonio Correia

I think Charlotte is absolutely right.

They are all very nice !
:)

How about these ones ? They were made on the west coast of Portugal a couple of months ago. Strong wind blowing...

i-JRhV6NJ-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
An evolving series (I'm in my infancy of shooting waves, it will never end. Never).

A few from yesterday afternoon.

DSC_5491%20p%20screen%20size_zpsrif59mjv.jpg

DSC_5490%20p%20screen%20size_zpsctjwuzto.jpg

DSC_5718%20p%20screen%20size_zpshtu7sgyi.jpg

Andy,

I am fascinated by your dissection of the anatomy of waves. Your surgery is remarkable. It's like I knew nothing about water!

Kudos and keep them coming!

Asher

Andy brown

Andy,

I am fascinated by your dissection of the anatomy of waves. Your surgery is remarkable. It's like I knew nothing about water!

Kudos and keep them coming!

Asher

Asher, coming from you, the medical references are high praise. Thank you.

And thanks Charlotte, I decided recently to shoot purely for my own personal satisfaction and as such I am thoroughly enjoying the process and shooting in a more artistic vein and as with Asher's comments, your comments coming from an artist are again high praise.

Asher, I know you were keen to see some B+W versions for the sake of narrowing things down to form and function....

DSC_8678%20BW%20screen%20size_zpsfe7ydjkm.jpg

DSC_8582%20BW%202%20scr5een%20size_zpskufoatk7.jpg

Andy brown

Asher, now these are surgical, these are the final remnants of waves as they become ripples in a sandy/shelly cove. Macro. Light, refraction, reflection. This stuff I love. Shooting like this is meditation with a camera.

DSC_5451%20shoreline%20kaleidoscope%20screen%20size_zpsnv94gldv.jpg

DSC_5452%20p%20Pareidolic%20paradise%20screen%20size_zps4gwmloea.jpg

DSC_5417%20Prismatic%20ripples%202%20close%20screen%20size_zpsvv3je3at.jpg