• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lepton, W. Yorkshire '16

Paul Abbott

Again, another photograph documenting the landscape as something man-altered, something real, and something my senses have totally woken up to, wholeheartedly.
Btw, the sign reads - 'NEW REFUGE ISLANDS AHEAD'.

newrefugeislandsahead_1_of_1_900.jpg

Lepton, W. Yorkshire '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Again, another photograph documenting the landscape as something man-altered, something real, and something my senses have totally woken up to, wholeheartedly.

Paul,

You might wonder why this signicant picture with a great introduction receives a delayed response. Well it's because it requires thought to do it justice.

A picture of a statue of Churchill against a cloudy London sky can be commented on impulsively. A happy bride or a dog, leaping up to catch a ball, can both be "liked" in a simple flourish.

When, by contrast, you show pictures where we have to dig and search through our libraries of experience and values related to the very structure of our way of life, it is so much harder.

I, myself, returned several to admire the photograph without daring to comment.

That, I will do, shortly. ?

Meanwhile, thanks for raising the bar.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Paul,

Lovely shot.

Tell me about "refuge islands". I might think that these were islands in the roadway (maybe raised, maybe just painted) onto which a pedestrian could step to avoid being menaced by an oncoming vehicle.

I make this conjecture with reference to the "refuge niches" in the walls of narrow railway and subway tunnels.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
An attempt at formal analysis which all cynics should avoid!

First I had to determine what "refuge Islands" might refer to here. No they're not wild life sanctuaries. Rather they are especially designed safety zones in the center of a road where there are opposite flows of traffic. We do not have exactly similar structures here, at least in Los Angeles. Although in some, (albeit rare), wide boulevards there may be place for flowers or a Metro train stop and perhaps sculptures and then even a path for pedestrians.

Well, Paul,

This is a surprising picture, strongly constructed with composition being a leading parameter in the design. Initially, I merely describe forms, not the actual identities or meaning of it all.

The strongest features you have endowed the image are lines leading the eyes to the right and out of the tall border of this vertical landscape scene. Balancing and fixing this strong lateral movement are the repeated verticals of the supporting poles for the cables.

Not only are we missing the destination of the converging lines to the right, but we are reflexly also drawn, intermittently to the left to the the brightest light in he sky! This creates a palpable tension in which way the eye must travel, forward, (in time), to the right or backwards to the left.

When we are given such strong opposing lateral forces, we are perhaps being asked, (but subtly,) to consider something: here, to weigh in our minds the values or consequences of what the scene might represent.

Now we get to the subject matter. At this point, I have to rely on my own resources as there is no explanation guide as to "meaning". I can merely describe what is shown and how these elements evoke meaning and significance to me. It is only a truth, not the truth, as each of us will have a different library of references,.

Well, here goes with my personal "take":

There are bold spaces marked in the lower part of the image. These are parking spaces which anchor the picture, allowing it to move nether ro the left or right. So we have in one vertical landscape scene, the light to the left, the past, the squares m,marking the only places one can park one's vehicle and the movement of the cables to the left, the future.

So to me, at least, the image might represent our own lives, in which time moves on and we are limited by some dystopian set of rules, as to where we are allowed to "be". Then, when we add the disclosure that ahead, there are "Islands of Refuge" for the pedestrian, we are given some hope. We are assured that if we abandon the apparent privileges and security of a valued "parking space", there is opportunity ahead and some safety in secure safety zones if we resolutely continue our independent journeys on foot.

This is just my personal reaction to your formidable image.

Thanks for the pictorial and intellectual challenge.

Asher

.........but how come it want framed horizontally?

Paul Abbott

Doug, the islands are for pedestrians crossing the road, instead of having to cross the whole of this busy road in one go they have an island where they can wait for opposing traffic occurring on the other side. These lines in the road denote the width of the island up ahead and keep the traffic on the right side of the islands when they come upon them. Thanks...

Asher, thanks so much for investing such a lot of thought into trying to recognise and extrapolate some reason and meaning in my image.

With this, i'm just trying to represent and respond to the landscape as a man-altered thing. At first I witnessed all those telephone wired poles dotting the landscape and then I saw a similarity between them and the refuge island lines (not car parking slots), in the middle of the road. The man-made lines in the road are also joined by two long straight lines on one side, just like the telephone poles in the fields joined by they're wiring and there are seven poles and seven white lines, well, seven and a bit. :)
Also, the lamp-post is a source of light, just like the sun and they are at opposing sides of the image, both operating at opposing times, too.
Anyway, they're all just man made elements that hopefully i've made some sense of in this photograph...Have you checked out 'Grange Moor...'?

Regards...

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

First I had to determine what "refuge Islands" might refer to here.

Thank you for that nice reference. It was as I had suspected.

While I was at it, downstream from your reference, I also learned about pelican, puffin, and toucan crossings. Very clever of the Brits to warp the acronyms for the first two of those kinds of pedestrian crossings into bird names, and then to make a clever pun for the third (in a toucan crossing, which supports both pedestrian and bicycle crossing: "two [kinds] can cross at the same time").

This is all so much fun!

Best regards,

Doug

Peter Dexter

It is certainly all about lines of many kinds.

Doug I could place a sign accurately saying "toucan crossing" in my front yard.

Paul Abbott

We have 'albatross' ones too. The islands are narrower and you all have to stand line abreast (6 max), whilst waiting to cross. They're mainly in towns and cities and mostly they serve and help young, drunken bitches get across the road (leaning against each other), especially in Newcastle, while on a greasy night out...We've thought of everyone in this respect. :p