• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

heaven is Sunshine, water, a board and a D3x with a 300 f/2.8

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Martin,

Anyone who is interested in learning about far away places from a human point of view will enjoy wildpix.net. I have always been impressed and enthralled visiting your website and this time it's just as worthwhile an experience. Still, the picture is so large, (2000 pixels wide) it needs to be scrolled to get it all.

So I took the liberty of looking at it at 50% in Photoshop and it's even more impressive. We see a very athletic person, every muscle working, apparently controlling position in the harness and against the board. The right hand hold the cross bar, the left the back of the board ready to twist on a dime.

Do you also have other shots of this too?

Thanks for sharing.

Asher

martin best

Hi Asher
Thanks for the response and comments. Agreed re the size, have scaled it back to 1024 pixel width, reason i did it at its original was more to show the quality of the d3x though, at 1024 its good, but could have been shot with anything?, its only when you realize even at 2000 pixels that its a crop and then see the quality that you (I) really appreciate the D3X :)
Whats fanstastic about this camera over the D3 is effectively it literally doubles my focal length with 2x as many pixels to play with, I couldnt see me handholding a 600mm whereas this with the 300 wasd childs play, this is the ultimate sports shooters/wildlife camera as far as im concerned, low light capabilities aside, I go with the extra res, An A2 print from this shot is incredible in its detail. Although 5fps is not the fastest, still ample when used correctly, got some great bird shots while there too.!!!
Yes have more shots, and have been invited back there for a competition later this year to record. Riccardo, the guy in the pic and i will go out in a boat to the reef where the waves are much bigger for more shots. Was on hols with my 2 daughters when i took these, so i didnt spend all day shooting fpr obvious reasons!.

For info, am now in a position to offer a safari and beach hol with an emphasis on photography. Have a small place in the mara, and another on the coast with incredible wldlife/sporting shooting ops. so if any of your readers are interested?.

thanks again
martin