• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Some technical French to English translation questions

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi all and more specifically to those that speak both French and English plus knowing about offset printing.
My agency does more and more works for foreign countries (Turkey, Spain, UAE, German etc.) and of course the language used is English.
Most of our clients do not know about processes and technics involved in photography but more specifically about offset printing.
When talking face to face it is easy for me to explain, but when writing down to someone who is thousands of miles (Km:) away, it is much better to use the precise terms in order to be quitly understood, especially when we speak about figures (quotations!).
I have search the web and found some of the terms, but still I'm not sure or I didn't find the precise one, hence my request to the good people at OPF!

Can you, if you're sure right down or correct under each sentence the precise equivalent?

argent à chaud-----------------silver hot stampling
-------------------------------
Bon à tirer----------------------pass for press
corrections chromies--------color corrections
détourage----------------------edging-out
documents d'éxécution------Art work (this is the hires file ready to go for camera proof or printing)
dos cousu----------------------threadsewn back
dos carré collé---------------- flat glued back????
feuille en rabat----------------fold-out sheet
forme de découpe-----------die cut window
maquette---------------------layout
offset feuille--------------------sheet-fed press
pelliculage brillant------------glossy film lamination
pelliculage mat----------------mat film lamination
Piqures à cheval--------------stappled?
rotative--------------------------web-press
vernis de protection---------protective varnish
Vernis selectif-----------------spot varnish

Thank you very much! (in bold the very important ones)

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I will attempt one term, which perhaps is the most critical.

Bon à tirer "Approved for Printing" This is the important step in which the customer (Publisher/Graphic designer/art director or photographer) officlaly approves the test print and so affirms permission and instruction to go ahead and print exactly to the appearance of that print. When the print is signed by the customer, a contract is so made that this BAT print is what was agreed apon and is the standard to which the final order of prints will be delivered.

Asher

nicolas claris

I will attempt one term, which perhaps is the most critical.

Bon à tirer "Approved for Printing" This is the important step in which the customer (Publisher/Graphic designer/art director or photographer) officlaly approves the test print and so affirms permission and instruction to go ahead and print exactly to the appearance of that print. When the print is signed by the customer, a contract is so made that this BAT print is what was agreed apon and is the standard to which the final order of prints will be delivered.

Asher

Bonjour Asher

your are completely right, this is why I don't need attempts but real used words in the graphic/print world. ;-)
BAT is the very exact term/acronym we dayly use in French.

thanks for trying!

PS "documents d'éxécution" is also very important…

nicolas claris

Bump!

Hé y'a pas un internaute bilingue de Québec ou de Lousiane par ici ?-)

Hi all and more specifically to those that speak both French and English plus knowing about offset printing.
My agency does more and more works for foreign countries (Turkey, Spain, UAE, German etc.) and of course the language used is English.
Most of our clients do not know about processes and technics involved in photography but more specifically about offset printing.
When talking face to face it is easy for me to explain, but when writing down to someone who is thousands of miles (Km:) away, it is much better to use the precise terms in order to be quitly understood, especially when we speak about figures (quotations!).
I have search the web and found some of the terms, but still I'm not sure or I didn't find the precise one, hence my request to the good people at OPF!

Can you, if you're sure right down or correct under each sentence the precise equivalent?

argent à chaud-----------------silver hot stampling
Bon à tirer----------------------pass for press
corrections chromies--------color corrections
détourage----------------------edging-out
documents d'éxécution------Art work (this is the hires file ready to go for camera proof or printing)
dos cousu----------------------threadsewn back
dos carré collé---------------- flat glued back????
feuille en rabat----------------fold-out sheet
forme de découpe-----------die cut window
maquette---------------------layout
offset feuille--------------------sheet-fed press
pelliculage brillant------------glossy film lamination
pelliculage mat----------------mat film lamination
Piqures à cheval--------------stappled?
rotative--------------------------web-press
vernis de protection---------protective varnish
Vernis selectif-----------------spot varnish

Thank you very much! (in bold the very important ones)

BradleyGibson

Bonjour, Nicolas,

Je suis canadien et j'ai habitais en Quebec quand j'etais petit, mais comme enfant, je n'ai jamais rencontre ces jargons de presse. Donc, aucune idee!! Desole!

A bientot,
Brad