• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Muse Visits! Kate on Santa Monica Boulevard! Work with the Sony A7r and 55mm Zeiss 1.8

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is not a review, but rather an account of one of my photo shoots with Kate, who kindly serves as an inspiration for my photography. Join me for an eclectic mix of documentation and fun. I use my new Sony A7r because it has a very fine lens, the 55mm 1.8 which offers a good short portrait option and allows for detail rich scenes and, with 34 MP, a good deal of cropping if need be.

Santa Monica Blvd is one of the busiest city streets going from downtown Los Angeles to the Santa Monica beach and the beautiful Pacific Coast.

The Hollywood section is a magnet for artists in transition - painters, film makes, actors and producers with the expected. So it's not surprising to find film and digital production houses, painted murals and elite art galleries and coffee shops which host everyone!

Kates' car is in repair as it was hit in a crash. She's OK, but we decided to switch photography to her home turf in Hollywood.

[Group 17]-_DSC4152__DSC4157-3 imagesKate Santa Monica Mural_2_Charcoals LAB_30.jpg

Asher Kelman: Kate and the Dragon

Stitched Panorama

Hollywood July 2014

20"x44" at 300 dpi

More to follow!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Just look at the impact of the image with the black canvas !!!

So much better !!!...

Well done Asher, the right proportions are of great importance. You have done it nicely.

:)

Asher Kelman

Well we also took pictures by a large interior wall, rather quickly, I must add, as there were closed circuit cameras all over the place. I like to design my steel sculptures around my model. So this is my tentative plan for the steel.

Red_Sculpture_Fantasy_black border_LAB_30.jpg

Asher Kelman: Fantasy in 1/2 inch steel plate for 3 poses

Sony A7r, 55mm Zeiss f 1.8

Images of Kate processed from Sony RAW with Capture One v. 7

Sculpture drawn in Photoshop CC

Your impressions and critique are welcome!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Perhaps a black canvas would enhance this great image of yours... ;)
I would like to see her legs in the central area of the composition, not on the right side ...
Is that a metal sculpture completely designed by yourself ?
Does the metallic composition has any meaning ? Or is it just me, not understanding ?
Why is she in repeated along the composition ?

Asher Kelman

Is that a metal sculpture completely designed by yourself ?

Yes! That's what I do these days!

Does the metallic composition has any meaning ? Or is it just me, not understanding ?

An homage to women balancing so may roles and still being so so wonderful to us!

Why is she in repeated along the composition ?

She was the scaffolding for my thought process. I designed this to reach over her 3 times. Hence the title, "Fantasy in 1/2 inch steel plate for 3 poses"

As to the choice of pose for the center, yes, I could consider that more. I had not wished to make her disrobing central, but maybe it should be, for the sake of offspring.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

hehehe, great idea, but the "T" is too lazy planned ... the perspective doesn't really fit.
Over all, the canvas-idea of Antonio is very fine. Interesting to see how the pic "bumps" with a canvas around.

Asher Kelman

Hi

hehehe, great idea, but the "T" is too lazy planned ... the perspective doesn't really fit.
Over all, the canvas-idea of Antonio is very fine. Interesting to see how the pic "bumps" with a canvas around.

Thanks for visiting and the feedback, Wolfgang. The model changes with building and engineering calculations. So I have no worries at this stage.

Asher

Antonio Correia

At this point I would like to ask you Asher, something else.
Is everything in scale ? What do I mean by that ?
Well... does the sculpture has physical existence ? If so, how is it supported ?
We can't see any shadows but those from your prefered model...
Are you using 3D printing ?

More questions later on :) :)

Oh I was forgetting: thanks for the canvas. I like it ! LOL

Asher Kelman

At this point I would like to ask you Asher, something else.
Is everything in scale ? What do I mean by that ?
Well... does the sculpture has physical existence ? If so, how is it supported ?
We can't see any shadows but those from your prefered model...
Are you using 3D printing ?

More questions later on :) :)

Oh I was forgetting: thanks for the canvas. I like it ! LOL

Antonio,

This is a fantasy, just a design. It's the largest concept I've designed to date in height but not in width. Yes it will be made -cut and welded, polished and painted. But first I have to build it to scale and then draw 3D plans so I can get the structural engineering safety-check done, so it's actually not a "death trap"!

I have just finished several other steel sculptures: two steel tables, a steel ribbon of 70 ft long above me bedroom and a 3 meter high steel arch at the center of my new wine cabinet. I'm just enjoying myself, using the energy that comes from being inspired by the young folk around me, LOL!

For folk's peace of mind, I'll add shadows as required to the steel forms! Guilty as charged!!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Again in the stolen indoors background, a couple od grab shots a few minutes later.

_DSC4087KATE Santa Monica Blvd 1_550 charcoal LAB 30.jpg

Asher Kelman: Stepping out

Stitched Collage

Hollywood July 2014

Sony A7r, Zeiss 55mm 1.8

Nik HDR

Here I've tried to express the transformation the muse from being unsure to being self-assertive. It's very rare that I use HDR manipulations, but here it provides the tough and determined mood I want.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Also look here at our work trying to figure out the meaning behind the work of Pernice, the noted German arcitectural -scatter art- sculpter, currently exhibited with MacFarlaine, the Canadian photographer who pulls together disparate times in collages and delivers a color image below the B&W one!

I hope you'll find the collage we made interesting and perhaps even though provoking.

Asher