• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Photos from the Lake District

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Haven't had too much time for anything photography related recently, but managed to escape for the day for another trip up to the Lakes.

An apology in advance for posting images without having really been around commenting on others posts etc recently - will endeavour to make it up in the next few months!

Anyway, we chose a walk that took us along Grisdale Valley from Patterdale before climbing up into Nethermost Cove and then onto the summits of Nethermost Pike and Helvellyn beyond. It was also my first time out with a new Lee Big Stopper (10-stops), so was keen to try some long exposures.

Pleased with the photos from the day, 3 posted below.

2012_02_AS3719_AndrewStannard.jpg

Eagle Crag and Dollywaggon Pike from Grisedale Beck

2012_02_AS3732_AndrewStannard.jpg

Nethermost Pike from Nethermost Cove

2012_02_AS3767_AndrewStannard.jpg

St Sunday Crag from Nethermost Pike​

Regards,
Andrew.

Mike Shimwell

Wow Andrew, you had a good day. I've a couple of days in Cockermouth in a couple of weeks time and looking forward as I haven't been to the Lakes for a year or two.

The first picture throws me slightly - just because I'm not used to the bright day and silky water.

The second is marvellous - super clouds and a lovely little tree for scale. I suspect it would make a nice reasonable sized print - 18 by 12 or 24 by 16 if you'd a space.

The third is a view that just reminds me of many happy and sunny days on the fells at the turn of the year.

Mike

fahim mohammed

Andrew, as Mike says you did have a good day behind the camera.

My fav is #2. Beautiful cloud whisper in the sky with a small hill just enough to hide the wisp.

#1; Cannot describe why but the long exposure does not put me off here. It somehow seem to

complement the whole. I would not like the image without the silky smooth water.

These are very good Andrew. Frame them. At least #2.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well Andrew,

I'd not have expected this. With such a grand vision, I'd have never imagined this pristine water presented as milky. Also my reaction is not negative and that too is surprising to me as I love the crisp reflections, sparkles and discrete drops of water rushing over rocks. For some reason, exquisite, milkiness works well here! But why should that be? Maybe it better balances the sharp well carved and absolutely necessary detail of the rocks and mountains.

2012_02_AS3719_AndrewStannard.jpg

Eagle Crag and Dollywaggon Pike from Grisedale Beck

So, this works very well for me. An old dog can learn, after all! :)

Asher

BTW, is there a blue tint on the rocks in the lower part of the picture.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Asher, Mike and Fahim - thanks for the comments.

Yes I agree that the blurred water on a bright day is a little unusual. IN truth I was wanting to play around a bit with my 10-stop filter interested to see what the effect would be. I think I like it in this case.

As you have suggested Asher, I think it complements the sharp detail of the rocks and mountains, but also, perhaps, I think it helps draw they eye into the frame without hanging around too long in the foreground exploring sparkles and discrete drops. The Lee 10 Stop filter does cool the picture somewhat - hence the blueish tinge to the rocks. Can't decide I want to correct this or not. I think the clear blue sky above also impacted on this shady area.

No #2 is perhaps my favourite. Again this was a 10-stop filter, with an exposure of around 30sec. Some smaller size prints are in order I think, before deciding which to print large and frame.

Mike - hope you get some good weather for you visit!

Regards,
Andrew.

Greg Norrell

Nice series Andrew. Interesting that your big stopper accentuates shorter wavelengths. I sometimes use a B&W 6 stop ND that accentuates longer wavelengths.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comments. It does seem that each manufacturers filters have a slightly different tendency for colour cast. In general the Lee filters are very neutral - just not at 10-stops.

I know some who use welding glass with reasonable success, which seem to result in a greenish cast.

Andrew.

Cem_Usakligil

Nice series Andrew. Interesting that your big stopper accentuates shorter wavelengths. I sometimes use a B&W 6 stop ND that accentuates longer wavelengths.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the comments. It does seem that each manufacturers filters have a slightly different tendency for colour cast. In general the Lee filters are very neutral - just not at 10-stops.

I know some who use welding glass with reasonable success, which seem to result in a greenish cast.

Andrew.
This thread contains some info about the colour response of the big stopper and how it differs from the regular ND filters. See post #22 and further.