• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

D3x !

Here it is a D3X is official now...http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/en_GB/products/broad/1726/views.html

The D3X redefines high resolution SLR photography, whether you shoot in the studio or out on location. The 24.5 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor delivers image files with outstanding levels of detail and tonal gradation and boasts an ISO range of 100 to 1600. Its durable Kevlar/carbon fiber-composite shutter and EXPEED image processing engine enable it to shoot at up to 5 fps (7 fps in DX Crop mode). The advanced Scene Recognition System delivers superior exposures and is supported by Nikon’s widely acclaimed 51-point AF system, which offers broad coverage and individually selectable points. Selectable Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing, saving time in post-production. The high definition 3-inch LCD monitor supports two Live View modes plus an HDMI video output. Protected by a tough, environmentally-sealed magnesium alloy body.

XXUNBMr_J.jpg

evrzPUo~Z.jpg

First post: This makes me a bit depressed (yes, I'm also impressed) since I spent all my money on a MF Digital back... and now Sony, Canon and Nikon have 20 something megapix cameras at unbelievable prices. So, It is good news for the resto of the world -expept for all others that got cameras now rendered obsolete by this one--.

Now the question: Is this as good as it gets in this format? probably all new models will be more incremental upgrades and resolution will be hitting some real barriers like lens resolution capacity and sensor size afecting IQ...

Probably the next body is the small and affordable version of this, no?

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Let's see the Canon's answer!
What do they have ready in their bag?

To answer your question, I dunno 'bout Nikon, but I shot all this year both Canon 1DS3 and Sinar HY6 and Sinarback 75 LV.
I love the Canon and it's adaptability and fastness during a fast boat shooting, but the HY6 IQ is beyond the darn good Canon's IQ!

Still, the border between MF and DSLR is shortening, price and quality wise, but technically the advantage is still on Sinar's side (I haven't played with other MFs…).

First post: This makes me a bit depressed (yes, I'm also impressed) since I spent all my money on a MF Digital back... and now Sony, Canon and Nikon have 20 something megapix cameras at unbelievable prices.

Hi Leonardo,

I'd only be depressed a bit if this trend really came as a surprise, AND if one isn't able to capitalize on the differences. Yes, there are differences in favor of a physically larger sensor array, as there are other differences in favor of a smaller sensor array.

We should choose our tools as fit for the task at hand, and at the moment they're needed. Future evolution doesn't play a large part in that if the job needs to be done in the present. So we tend to buy what's available and the best feasible for the job, with longer term usability being more of an investment versus rental/leasing decision.

Bart

fahim mohammed

Why and how often would one need this sort of megapixels? The files must be getting huge..esp. the tiffs.
I am sure there are uses for such high resolution, but for whom?

I cannot afford to and neither do I intend to keep up with this race. I am sure it must be required by
some..good luck to them.

Regards.

Fahim: Why and how often would one need this sort of megapixels? you ask?

The answer is easy, for example, me. I'm not big shot photographer just one of thousands of contributors of stock. I shoot with my D300 that is a 12mp and extrapolate using Photoshop to 17MP (file sizes of about 48MB, ) that is the minimum required by ALAMY. When I use my 22MP medium format camera I also extrapolate to 81MP so that I offer for sale a larger than normal file.

I send the 80 Mega files using my not so fast internet connection from here (Bolivia) to the UK and cost me nothing. Hard drives are getting cheaper so you can get a 1 Terra for what? $200?

I am not going to get in the queue for this and I do hear what you say about the upgrade race, but we can't stop time by holding the hour hand in our kitchen clock as they do in cartoons.

You probably have to have an upgrade plan for: Desktop, laptop, back up discs, camera. How you design your back up plan depends on the work you do, but, unfortunately there is: Taxes, death and XDy... OSX .x etc.

Alain Briot

pro member
Who uses his res camera? People who make large prints. I currently use a 40mp back and will upgrade to the 65mp one when available. More data is what I need because my work is very large. That being said I also use small cameras since, as Fahim mentions, some images don't need to be that large. Plus, the big cameras don't fit in the glove compartment of my car!

That being said I wanted to point this thread towards the fact that some reviewers, such as Thoms Hogan, who say that the D3x is overpriced. I'm not a Nikon expert, and I don't quite understand their point since the 1DsMk3, Canon's closest equivalent camera, is priced comparably to the D3x.

If anyone here can explain why some consider the D3x overpriced and enlighten me that will be most appreciated.

Alain

nicolas claris

Why and how often would one need this sort of megapixels? The files must be getting huge..esp. the tiffs.

I cannot afford to and neither do I intend to keep up with this race. I am sure it must be required by
some..good luck to them.

Regards.

Bonsoir Fahim
1st let me congrat you for the very fine pictures you have recently post after your travel in Himalaya… stuning, gorgeous. Good "work" and thanks for sharing and taking time to post (with some context text that added a lot for the joy of looking!

Now, about mega pixel, I would like to add to Leonardo's and Alain's good reasons to shoot mega pixels, my own experience.

You have, no doubt, seen the diary I wrote this year in OPF with the Sinar. 33 Mpix yes!
I tried to post some crops at 100% for folks to see the quality of the image, smooth gradients, sharpness, clarity and crispness of the image, of course I have not been helped by the necessary jpeg compression, but still, one can see the difference.

Why is that quality needed? enlargements of course, but also simply quality. I do work in the adverising field (I am not an artist!) and believe me the competition is really hard and tough, besides the quality of the "eye" and vision, the clients do ask for the best quality, because quality makes (helps) sales… as simple as that.

Are the clients willing to pay for the difference of quality? Not always! so I'll sadly have to send back the Sinar stuff -with tears in the eye- back to their owner. End of tests!
If it were not the known financial crisis nowadays, i would have taken the risk to buy this camera, because everyone that looks at the print here have just their jaws lying down below the floor…
And what a joy to have handled this camera with the Schneider lenses! I have learned and progressed so much this year with this gear! unbeleivable. And yes, the mega pixels did help because they are demanding… Darn good stuff, but no pardon for mistakes!

So I will continue my work with the Canon 1Ds3, 21 million pixels only…
I'll be able to post here next week; a picture of mine, done with the Canon, cropped by 1/3 and still enlarged and print to 8 meters wide. Yes 8 meters = 26.24 feet wide…

Then you'll understand why any more million pixels is worth the buy…

nicolas claris

some..good luck to them.

Regards.
Bonsoir Fahim

please see my replies to you here
and here

I hope it will answer some of your questionning :-D