• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Happy Festivals: Passover and Easter! Any snaps of the fun?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Folk are cooking, getting good clothes out and finding clothes to fit the children. Special foods are prepared and families get together. So share the fun with your holiday snaps: cooking, clothes, presents, grandparents and toddlers, games and hugs and festive tables set for family and guests!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

It's the Anticipation of dying the eggs and the Hunt! Peyton and Parker Saturday morning at The Thompson Easter Dying Egg Official Art Bunny Egg Deco- a Tradition- I caught these through a mirror reflection

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0364-1.jpg

Adrian Wareham

Easter Partying the Night Before

A little bit of partying the night before Easter with a couple dancers on the dance floor. I just casually snapped these, so there are lots of flaws, but I like the expressiveness, so here you go!

Asher: I tried resizing these with PhotoBucket, but it's being uncooperative and I can't be sure if it's just my browser window. So if it looks too big/weird, maybe I can find a better hosting site? Just give me a heads-up and remove and/or advise/resize as you see fit.

Kathleen.jpg

Kathleen2.jpg

Kathleen3.jpg

-Adrian

Jarmo Juntunen

This is what happens in our neck of the woods during Easter time. Well, actually, one week before Easter... kids dressed up as witches go door-to-door collecting candy. Only mine would dress up like witches this year...

_medium.jpg

Mark Hampton

This is what happens in our neck of the woods during Easter time. Well, actually, one week before Easter... kids dressed up as witches go door-to-door collecting candy. Only mine would dress up like witches this year...

_medium.jpg

that got me for laughing for about a mintue - beautiful Jarno.

Passover snaps

I've posted pictures from the Passover seder before, but can't find the thread right now. I enjoy waiting for Asher's reaction -- he can spot the universal elements. This is a fascinating experience to me, as I didn't grow up with it. Kirkpatrick is not a very Zionist name. But we live in Israel and my wife's family is quite large and varied in their beliefs, ranging from secular, to observant, to ultra-urthodox. This year, at an in-law's in-laws' was a little more observant than our usual, with everyone taking part in the readings and photography during the seder would have been improper. But I caught a few reactions afterwards, with all the dishes shoved to the side and the kids pretty goofy from the long evening.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

scott

Asher Kelman

I've posted pictures from the Passover seder before, but can't find the thread right now. I enjoy waiting for Asher's reaction -- he can spot the universal elements.

Scott,

Sorry for the delay! I must have thought I'd get to it "after dinner" and then with wine and guests..........

This is a fascinating experience to me, as I didn't grow up with it. Kirkpatrick is not a very Zionist name. But we live in Israel and my wife's family is quite large and varied in their beliefs, ranging from secular, to observant, to ultra-urthodox. This year, at an in-law's in-laws' was a little more observant than our usual, with everyone taking part in the readings and photography during the seder would have been improper.

One of the advantages of having guests is that someone can take some pictures. but you're right, it's really against tradition to use camera on the Sabbath or a Festival like Passover. This is serious custom here! With mixed company, like you enjoyed this year, there are extremely fastidious requirements for the absolute exclusion of "chometz" (that is bread or fermented products or even potentially contaminated foods or utensils)". So it's near impossible to have less observant friends bring contributions to the evenings meal. In fact, many haredim will only eat matzo sanctioned by their own rabbinical group! The special matzos are called "shemurah matzot", being that they are especially supervised or "guarded" and utterly protected from getting any contamination with "chometz".

But I caught a few reactions afterwards, with all the dishes shoved to the side and the kids pretty goofy from the long evening.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

scott

Scott, it's a pleasure for us to see how your little kids are blossoming! Time goes past so fast!

Asher

P.S. We need an update on your current camera choice!

Folk are cooking, getting good clothes out and finding clothes to fit the children. Special foods are prepared and families get together. So share the fun with your holiday snaps: cooking, clothes, presents, grandparents and toddlers, games and hugs and festive tables set for family and guests!

Asher

In the special food category, I would expect Asher will recognize this one, from earlier this evening in Rehovot, Israel...

DSCF0574 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Hag Sameach!

scott (but picture by Tom Kirkpatrick)
Fuji X Pro2, 23/1.4

Apropos of Asher's comments above on "CHometz"

In Sephardi Hebrew (as spoken in Israel), it's pronounced "Hametz," and written Het Mem Tsadik. In an observant household, such as our in-laws' in Rehovot where the Seder was held yesterday, any leavened food products are used up, burned, loaned to a neighbor, or discarded, and the dishes used for the rest of the year are put in cupboards sealed off for the week of Passover. Supermarkets have a bigger problem, which they solve by putting up barriers to separate the shoppers from the Hametz, as seen here, back in 2003:

large.jpg

where Tom is actually enjoying the "Kosher for Pesach" equivalent (gluten free!) of his normal favorite snack, regardless of the prohibitions

large.jpg

scott

Kids do grow up -- and another festival

In answer to your other questions and comments above, Asher, here's what our two kids looked like shortly after we returned to Israel (in 2000) with an infant and a 3-year old:

large.jpg

Now Luli, the older one, is doing her compulsory Army service. and recently finshed basic training, which culminates in a swearing-in ceremony. This involves some marching and for each new soldier, a bible and an M16. They are being gathered in the first picture:

DSCF0395off 1_censored (1) by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The IDF doesn't normally allow cameras anywhere, but of course every family brought a camera and two cellphones to this event, so I've followed newspaper practice and obscured the face of anyone in uniform.

And at the end of the ceremony, the picnic lunches come out and everyone gathers for a quick feast:

DSCF0467_censored by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The older picture was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 5000, actually my third or fourth digital camera. The most recent snaps are with a Fuji X-Pro2, using a 23mm (35mm-eff) f/1.4 lens.

scott

Asher Kelman

Just two families this time, one grandmother, traditional foods, lots of wine and matzoh, and the annual struggle to read the ancient Hebrew that links the familiar songs and recitals...

S1040038 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

S1040025 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Scott,

Yes it's beautiful and a struggle. I sit the two boys, 6 and 9, close to me and direct the Seder to them and have them read, mixing English, (which the six year old presents with perfect modulation of voice and timing, as if he were a famous actor, being the narrator in a documentary), with classical Haggadah Hebrew, which the eight year old finds quaint compared to abbreviated modernized Hebrew he is conversant with.

Your pictures are a wonderful expression of family getting together. Do you also get into discussion of social values and lessons learned from the tales in the Hagaddah or do you speed on the the food and just get through it?

Asher

We always talk about politics and ethics, on Passover or just at our regular dinners. The older of my two nephews was active in having the Knesset pass a recent law that makes it harder to take your groceries home in an unending stream of plastic bags and forces the stores to provide reusable bags instead. We discussed that one for a long time. My brother-in-law was responsible for several years for the government's policies towards Bedouin settlements and towns in the South. That subject was harder to talk about.

scott

Asher Kelman

We always talk about politics and ethics, on Passover or just at our regular dinners. The older of my two nephews was active in having the Knesset pass a recent law that makes it harder to take your groceries home in an unending stream of plastic bags and forces the stores to provide reusable bags instead. We discussed that one for a long time. My brother-in-law was responsible for several years for the government's policies towards Bedouin settlements and towns in the South. That subject was harder to talk about.

scott

Scott,

One thing for sure, the evolutionary benefit of "stories" is group cohesion and passing on sage advice and hard- won experience. The fantastic built in adjustability to local and current realities allows iterative refinements in guidance to the next generation and working out new survival strategies.

This year, without prior thought, I found myself questioning the treatment advised for the "rosha" or "contrary" one of the 4 types of sons one could have. How does one deal with behavior or one's son when he rejects our cultural values?

That, I am telling to a 6 year old!

So there is a great value to Passover as it does get us to question, reaffirm or modify our attitudes.

Asher