• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Photographers' Rights: Recent Experiences

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The terrorist attack of 9/11 and that of 7/7vin the UK has given rise to misconceptions as boundaries are made without legal basis.

Read this. The results turn out to be good.

What views and experiences do you have to share?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I read the following, that I presume is closer to you in California.

Again, I have no comments, just what I read..

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=109398

Asher, I cannot and won't comment.

Fahim, my friend why can't you comment? I don't understand that at all. Is it perhaps that you didn't see the pictures?

image1313146779-26509.jpg

Sander Roscoe Wolff: Untitled

Long Beach Post: "A photograph shot by Sander Roscoe Wolff on June 30 before he was detained by Long Beach Police"

That's from the Long Beach Post article!

The issue is whether or not photography should be considered suspicious in itself and demand a police officer's attention.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim, my friend why can't you comment? I don't understand that at all.

The issue is whether or not photography should be considered suspicious in itself and demand a police officer's attention.

Asher

When I visit any country as a tourist, guest etc. I respect the customs, traditions and Laws of that
country. I use common sense and err on the side of caution.

What the Laws of the host country are, I am generally not well versed in. Though, I do read about obvious things that might concern me as a visitor. What the laws are in any particular country , is for its own people to decide.

I, as a visitor, want to enjoy my time in the host country. That is the only reason I might visit it or for medical treatment. If I know something I would like to do and it is forbidden in any country, I don't it or do not visit that country. That's it. I don"t poke my nose in other people's business. That is a sure recipe for getting into trouble.

Regards.

Asher Kelman

When I visit any country as a tourist, guest etc. I respect the customs, traditions and Laws of that country. I use common sense and err on the side of caution. What the Laws of the host country are, I am generally not well versed in. Though, I do read about obvious things that might concern me as a visitor.

Fahim,

Well then, in Long Beach California, you and I could very will get detained then for taking our customary pictures! The police there are on the wrong side of the law and won't get away with it for too long. Taking photographs, that acton itself is totally legal in public places in the USA. It's the fantasies n the minds of police that cause then confusion. They will, no doubt get educated!

I too have travelled widely but I've never found any place, anywhere, that didn't allow tourist or street photography. I can't even name any! So I've never come across such a culture clash as you suggest. Well, I imagine that paranoiac state of North Korea might be such a place, but I don't think they allow many tourists there, anyway, LOL!

I don"t poke my nose in other people's business. That is a sure recipe for getting into trouble.

It's never occurred to me that photography would be illegal, unless in an army base or in someone else's private place. That would be "poking one's nose into other people's business". After all, even if invited into someone's home, one's not invited to document their artwork and silver!

In public places in the USA, some individual might object, and if that was understandable, I'd simply delete the shot. If the person was really unreasonably pompous and rude about it, I'd tell them to call the police and take more if it was safe, LOL!

Asher