• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Waterproof camera bag

Jeff Donovan

Can anyone recommend anything? I'm going to be trekking through Southeast Asia this September (during monsoon season) and want to make sure my equipment stays dry.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
As long as the bag does not get immersed in water, Billinghams (completely closed!) are water-proof; LowePro's Magnum and smaller bags from the same series have been water-proof in the past, guess they still are.

I am just building my own from a Timbuk2 Messenger bag (the Pro Series XXL to be precise), which is water-proof as long as it is closed. I am still looking for a way to get a sensible interior, which can hold my gear in fixed positions safely. Obviously smaller Timbuk2s from the Cordura or (better looking to me) Ballistic Messenger series are another good choice for smaller gear.

Marian Howell

LowePro DryZone backpacks are waterproof, watertight, and float if necessary! can be a bit of a pain to access frequently and/or quickly though as you have to unzip both the cloth outer layer and the rubberized inner layer to get to the gear...but the gear will be dry! there are some outside pouches as well for things that can get wet where i keep my water bottle, bug spray, sunscreen and the like.

Jeff Donovan

I like the Lowe backpacks, but as I'm going to already have a backpack on for the rest of my stuff, I don't think it will be too logical to buy one.

Andrew Stannard

pro member

Nill Toulme

How much gear are you going be carrying? For fishing I use a completely waterproof fannypack made by Simms (fishing gear people). It holds my 20D with 17-85IS mounted plus a 70-300 IS. Especially when casting it's nice to have that weight on the waist rather than the shoulders.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Alain Briot

pro member
I have to warn everyone that the zippers on the Dryzone are famous for failing at the most inoportune time. I have had many students see their Dryzone zippers either prevent them from accessing their gear or prevent them from closing their camera bag... Not fun! In my experience, unless your bag decides to take a dive into the river/lake/sea, the other LowePro bags are quite waterproof and do not have the "zipper shortcomings" of the Dryzone.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
When shotiing at sea from a boat, I never had any prblem with my Lowepro bag, when it becomes rough, I pack it in a black garbage PVC bag.
I've seen some phtogs shooting from a small fast boat like a Zodiac (kind of 5-6 meters inflatable with stiff botom) and putting their gear in a big ice-box... looks convenient but heavy!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeff,

I'm just on my way back from Europe, so I don't have access to my waterproof bag.

This I use for my MF camera. It is padded and has a zip section that contains an integrated handy waterproof cover. I'll check on it in a few days.

Asher

Jeff Donovan

Thank you all, I'm going to check out those Ortlieb bag. I'm also going to hit a few of the local photo shops and see what they can offer.

I might very well use the leather bag that I have, oil it well so it is as waterproof as can be and carry some plastic bags in case it really pours.

Will_Perlis

Don't forget that bags really good at keeping water out will also keep it in. If you get your gear damp taking pictures don't seal it all up immediately afterwards and let it marinate in the bag. Fungus really loves warm and damp.

I go with plastic trash and Ziploc bags over and inside an assortment of regular bags for miserably wet. Otherwise I don't worry about it. ;)

Jeff Donovan

Thanks Will, I did plan on keeping it sealed in a ziploc bag before using it. I'll make sure i let everything air out before sealing it up too.

Jeff

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeff,

I have my favorite waterproof bag in front of me. I use it for my MF gear.

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Orion_AW.aspx

It is the Lowenpro Onon AW It has a built in silver grey waterproof waterproof nylon type cover with an elastic esdge that one pulls over the bag if there is rain.

One gets the principal bag and a light pack to go on top of it.

I think you might also look at the DryZone 200 SLR Camera Backpack $229.95

http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail~dpno~753682.asp

Asher