• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A wholly self-explanatory image

Doug Kerr

Q06070-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Wholly self-explanatory no. 1

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Lunch for 4? Or brunch? Or a late breakfast?

Well, we hear that a really good picture requires not much explanation. I thought I would give it a try.

So I guess this pic doesn't qualify!

But in fact this was the table set for a Christmas Day dinner (early afternoon) for Carla and myself and our two friends who live across the street. The main course, a pre-cooked spiral-sliced ham (a gift in fact from Carla's son in Texas, shipped from the provider in an ice-packed container) was still in the oven at the time.

The leftmost of the two square glass dishes holds an infamous green bean casserole, a dish of which much fun is made (much as fun is made of Christmas fruitcakes). Topping it is said to be the only known use for the quite tasty "crispy fried onions" made by The French's Food Company, a well-known maker of spices, condiments, and such. (They are actually quite good on hamburgers, salads, and the like, but people hardly ever do that.)

Curiously, over her years of cooking, Carla had never before made the infamous dish (at some family gatherings in the past, when we lived in Texas, her daughter-in-law had made it), and of course we had regularly encountered it in the past at Christmas parties and the like.

But this year she decided to make it. Of course this was superior to any I had ever previously had. She bought the very best green beans available out here in the desert, and then pre-cooked them just to the ideal tenderness (al dente, as it were). (Typically the green beans are seriously overcooked.)

The rightmost square glass dish contains scalloped potatoes (escalope, non?) which, curiously, she also had never cooked before. Not even realizing that, I had just mentioned as she discussed the menu for Christmas dinner that that dish might be nice. So she made it. And it was just delicious.

The round dish contains a delicious cranberry relish that is made every year in large quantities by a family connected with our town's Senior Center and sold by the center.

I was a lovely occasion, foodwise and otherwise.

Well, despite my initial attempt, again I seem to have again despoiled this venue, properly devoted to self-sufficient images, with an illustrated story of life here in the desert!

Now, off to lunch/ Leftovers! Yum!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Q06070-01-S800.jpg

Best regards,

Doug,

Just by the evidence, we can see a table set for 4 but no food in the plates. Still, salad has been apportioned and there are plates of perhaps some pasta dishes or the like. It could be that the latter are not real and just stage props. But then, we would expect that the plate colors would be far better coordinated with the table cloth, so likely as not, it's real.

That means food is about to be served or one wouldn't leave, apparently edible salad and cranberry preserves open to the air for more than a short while.

So now we know it is going to be probably Turkey based, as that goes well with cranberry jams and the like!

I trust you all enjoyed Carla's meal!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So now we know it is going to be probably Turkey based, as that goes well with cranberry jams and the like!

Well, as you know by now, the main course was ham (oy vey!).

I trust you all enjoyed Carla's meal!

It was wonderful.

And there were plenty of leftovers, some of which we enjoyed for lunch today!

It's all enough to make the stock of major insulin manufacturers rise!

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Q06070-01-S800.jpg

Doug, Of course its self explanatory now that I understand about the special China. I am ignorant about such a lot of matters still!

I am sure that all the women in my family would identify the table setting immediately.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug, Of course its self explanatory now that I understand about the special China. I am ignorant about such a lot of matters still!

I am sure that all the women in my family would identify the table setting immediately.

But that wasn't the point of the caption at all.

I was making fun of the assertion that a really good photo does not need any (many) words to explain it.

Best regards,

Doug