• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Potato view of the Earth!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well the earth is a huge magnet, The European space craft is assembling a new view of the earth that reflects the strength of our planet's magnetic field. So it really means that if you drop a penny from a plane at exactly 10,000 feet at different parts of the globe, it will arrive at different times to the ground.

earth_spin_26.jpg

Put it another way, other things being equal, work at different locations takes different expenditures of energy. Read more here.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Asher,

Till Doug is awake, let me use the crayon rouge on his behalf.
Well the earth is a huge magnet, The European space craft is assembling a new view of the earth that reflects the strength of our planet's magnetic field. So it really means that if you drop a penny from a plane at exactly 10,000 feet at different parts of the globe, it will arrive at different times to the ground
I am sure you must have meant the gravity field of the earth instead of magnet/magnetic field above. :)

On another note, a penny dropped at the same altitude may (possibly shall) arrive at different times even when the gravity is the same. There are other factors such as the magnitude of the friction against the size/weight of the free falling object which cannot not be negligable for a penny. Humidity, air pressure, wind speeds, etc will all cause variations.

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

I am sure you must have meant the gravity field of the earth instead of magnet/magnetic field above. :)

On another note, a penny dropped at the same altitude may (possibly shall) arrive at different times even when the gravity is the same. There are other factors such as the magnitude of the friction against the size/weight of the free falling object which cannot not be negligable for a penny. Humidity, air pressure, wind speeds, etc will all cause variations.

Cheers,
Cem,

The great thing about OPF is the depth knowledge! Thanks for correcting me! As for the other factors, all things being equal, they would be normalized for our imaginary test.

:)

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Cem,

Hi Asher,

Funny - I just discovered this post, and was about to make the same comment, and then saw that you had taken care of it.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug
Queleque fois, le crayon rouge dort!