• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Simple Pleasures: A collection of things I noticed when I was on my way

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This is an old (110y) flour mill. Do you see the face?

This and this was also taken the same day.

A flour mill, Michael? I was sure this was a radio, LOL! From my recent attention to the "Paper Mill" here, I thought that the database had somehow scrambled, as I "saw" a radio! Only after a second and third look did I realize the front drop-down opening and the heavy gearing and levers on the sides. Anyone can see it's obviously not an antique radio! But my brain tricked itself!

Now I see the beautiful machine for the first time as what it really is and wonder why I never saw one as a child in the U.K.?

The face is recognizable immediately and fun!

Asher

Dave Butcher

Asher,

Thanks. I already mentioned that I have a vivid imagination. The lamps are mounted on the roof of a small AWD car. The 'U'-shaped part between the lamps just makes the nose and that is what made it interesting to me.
I was less thinking of any kind of dream as the retracted position in a shelter watching is not so much of a dream to me. So much for perception.

I do not have an explanation for this one (and I did noot look for one but just took the picture):

Best regards,
Michael

Now this is a photo I would love to have hanging in my place.

Asher Kelman

Seen on a hike:

So dramatic, Michael!

I am reminded of the British story of how they get those beautifully perfect verdant lawns outside the stately homes of the aristocratic classes.

"Simple, old chap!", he assured me, "You purchase a field with good drainage and rich black fiber content in addition to fine non clumpy clay components. Then you merely remove the rocks, turn over the soil 10", plough in draining channels and seed it. Then it's pretty well done. You just have to weed it by hand, mow it each week and roll it every 6 moths for 400 years. That way, it pretty well looks after itself!"

But I am not familiar with these rollers. Perhaps they are for something entirely different!

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is from the archives - I liked the colour contrast expressing cold and warmth:

Michael,

The segmented curves round the light like a massive and reassuringly strong arm. I am impressed. Is that a sculptural public art light stand or what? As a sculpture the light would be unusual.

But the red makes me think of m this as public art!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher, Peter,
The segmented curves round the light like a massive and reassuringly strong arm. I am impressed. Is that a sculptural public art light stand or what? As a sculpture the light would be unusual.

But the red makes me think of m this as public art!
I like these. For me they are the photographic version of "found object sculpture".
This was a lamp on the Tollwood festival (winter) back in 2010. A found object sculpture indeed.

Best regards,
Michael