• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Goodwood - Festival of Speed

John_Nevill

The Goodwood - Festival of speed has been pretty much a institution in the UK for the last 70 years and its the first time i've ever been, so I thought i'd share some of the imagery. To be honest, I'm still learning the pan technique but CS2 helped me along with some minor motion blur. Perhaps i've overdone it. But welcome feedback, oh and if anyone can name some of the unamed vehicles i'd be equally chuffed.

A small selection can be found here!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

Tom's right! The link is broken!

"Security Violation
The action you attempted is not permitted."

Asher

John_Nevill

Apologies, The gallery application I use was standalone when I posted the link. I've since fully integrated Gallery into Wordpress (Blog) and the url changed. Unfortunately I couldn't edit the post but Nicolas intuitively found the link, thanks.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well John
not that intuitve way...
I surfed back to http://www.eos-images.com and then tried to figure out what you wanted to show, in this particular case that was not so difficult!
Nice pics by the way! I feel like being again 8 years old playing with my Dinky-Toys in the school yard! (we did pour lead into the small cars to increase their inertia and make them more stable and faster!)

Gary Ayala

John-

I viewed your shots ... and ... well I felt as if something was missing. Individually, each shot was ... mmmh grand! All well exposed and sharp. The pans were very, very good ... but then it hit me ... no shots of the cars all packed up. The shots look more catalog-ish than competitive. Did the cars race together, was this a competition, did the cars race against the clock???? On the tilted shots, did you compose them in the camera or post processed the rotation?

Gary

John_Nevill

Gary,

Thanks for your comments, much apprecated.

The Festival of Speed is a strange race, its a hill climb time trial with only one vehcile on the road at a time.

I see what you mean about the images though, they do look very brochure-like and somewhat isolated.

Most of the the tilts were post processed, I know its cheating really, but it adds to the dynamics as most of the images would just be horizontal pans.

I'm still learning the pan technique and only now do I feel that I can read a subject in motion and select a workable shutter speed that yeilds the result i'm looking for.

For instance, for high speed cars and bikes I can get away with <1/400s, while propeller aircraft need <1/160 sec to get good prop motion.

The whole process of such learining is one of iteration and for me thats the biggest benefit of the digital medium.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
John,

There's nothing wrong with adding some motion blur, although I'd rather get it in the shot and you are working on that! The other thing to do is to pick a longer stretch of road, and sequentially take pictures but preflcous on a progressively closer part of that road. You can then layer the images and "Bob's your uncle!"!

Asher