• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: A bridge and a train: First, James Newman a "Texas Train"

My wife and I went on a little jaunt yesterday to Richmond, TX just a bit out from Houston. It's a quaint little town full of history and photographic opportunities. I plan on going back when I have more time to spend there. This trestle was very interesting to me and I was trying to get some shots of it when the crossing bell behind me started clanging and the guard came down. This train was really moving fast so I could only take a few shots and then I had to move away. I liked the way this one looked even with the blah thicket backdrop and the dreary overcast sky.
Trainontrestle.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well done, James!

The fact that they neglected to pain the bridge is so helpful here. :) The wonderful rust colors continues the family of hues in the landscape. Yes, that train does seem to be hurtling forward at a great speed!

If I had any moe of this view, I'd even try stitching as this scene might work well even wider. As it is I really love what you have done. I hope we get more. This deserves to be a challenge for train bridges!

Asher

Thank you Asher. I will be going back soon to try again. Meanwhile, here is one more that I tried with a B&W conversion. There is no train but I thought it an interesting view. I left just a hint of color...maybe not quite enough...and I still need more PP work that's for sure.
TrainTrestleBW.jpg

How's two bridges and a train? That's the Spuyten Dyvil railway bridge on the left, open for boat traffic, Amtrack in the distance, the Henry Hudson auto bridge on the right, and a Canada Goose in the foreground.

Spuyten%20Dyvil%20Bridge%20and%20Henry%20Hudson%20Bridge%20from%20InwoodHillPark,Sept2007.jpg

Asher Kelman

How's two bridges and a train? That's the Spuyten Dyvil railway bridge on the left, open for boat traffic, Amtrack in the distance, the Henry Hudson auto bridge on the right, and a Canada Goose in the foreground.
Great picture David, in fact an impressive Pano. Is this a strip of a 4x5 film?

Can we have a blowup of the Canada goose?

Asher

Thanks so much for the tour of the area around Grants Tomb and finding all those interesting photographic opportunities!

Great picture David, in fact an impressive Pano. Is this a strip of a 4x5 film?

Can we have a blowup of the Canada goose?

Asher

Thanks so much for the tour of the area around Grants Tomb and finding all those interesting photographic opportunities!

Thanks for a fascinating afternoon. It was a pleasure to meet in person.

That's a scan from a 6x17cm neg made with a 75/4.5 Grandagon-N and DaYi 6x17 back on my 4x5" Linhof Tech V.

Here's the goose:

Spuyten%20Dyvil%20Bridge%20and%20Henry%20Hudson%20Bridge%20from%20InwoodHillPark,Sept2007dtl.jpg

Jim Shadforth

I love both shots. If I had to choose, I'd take the "b&w" version because I find the contrast to be perfect (ex:, the center rails). I've always been drawn to railroad photography, and I think the feel and composition of both photos is superb.

Jim Shadforth

Thanks Jim. My wife and I went back again this past weekend and I took a few different shots. Sorry, no train this time. Just a slightly different perspective and a pano attempt as well. It's a bit on the small side.
0301_trainbridge_1160_55_56_57_58_5.jpg

pano1.jpg

Asher Kelman

Without bridges, especially for the growth of railway's, the spread of the industrial revolution and colonizations would not have been so vigorous.

Asher