• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The start of a series

Antonio Correia

I made another visit to a last century falling palace where I have been before.
Some other people were with me...
I have planned my photos in advance. I had not a very precise idea but details should be important...
I also wanted to make a change from the usual B&W...
I will show you some more.

i-QzF5mTN-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I made another visit to a last century falling palace where I have been before.
Some other people were with me...
I have planned my photos in advance. I had not a very precise idea but details should be important...
I also wanted to make a change from the usual B&W...
I will show you some more.

i-QzF5mTN-X2.jpg

I was beaten here by Maggie! That I appreciate as I hate to be the first to respond.

Thanks!

Well, Antonio, this is a continuation, perhaps of your long standing interest in the need for renewal. Your black and white pictures exhibited at the 2015 Photo-independant show in Los Angeles included several black and white pictures of urban decay in which you had inverted the image and then mirrored it on the other side of the paper.

Here, instead, you have focussed on framing a small section of the effect of neglect and passage of time on what was, no doubt, at its prime, a prestigious architectural achievement.

Again I follow Maggie's footsteps in wondering where this series will go. Looking forward to some surprises!

Asher

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

Thank you Maggie and Asher !

So is it a series on the effect of time passing?

Yes Jerome this is a series about the effect of time passing, decay, abandoned and the action of vandalism on heritage in general.

I was expecting to find more decay than 2 years ago, or even from last year. Now, certain areas are not accessible any more or present obvious danger.

Before heading there I thought I would make some photographs of vandalized details and this series is the visual capture of a part.

No more B&W. I wanted a colored image. I have been trying and trying until I got this look. I have printed some 4 or 5 in A5 size for a Folio.

People visit this place and just destroy without any obvious interest. Just for the fun of it ! (??) Very stupid.
A lot of azulejos are gone perhaps to be sold I do not know, I can't imagine the reason.

Courts take ages to solve heritages and quarrels between heirs... This palace is supposed to belong to some people who inherited it.

Degradation is obvious and it accelerates in exponential values: the more degraded, the more quickly it degrades. A shame.

I predict that is 20 years the palace will be a ruin. Then, no visits will be possible.

The series has 15 images.

i-M4QkgJN-X2.jpg

Alexandra Patuleia took my picture while adjusting something on the camera.

i-Bv6877L-M.png

An informal and careless photo from the entrance.

i-KqkXhKt-S.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thank you Maggie and Asher !

Yes Jerome this is a series about the effect of time passing, decay, abandoned and the action of vandalism on heritage in general.

I was expecting to find more decay than 2 years ago, or even from last year. Now, certain areas are not accessible any more or present obvious danger.

Before heading there I thought I would make some photographs of vandalized details and this series is the visual capture of a part.

No more B&W. I wanted a colored image. I have been trying and trying until I got this look. I have printed some 4 or 5 in A5 size for a Folio.

People visit this place and just destroy without any obvious interest. Just for the fun of it ! (??) Very stupid.
A lot of azulejos are gone perhaps to be sold I do not know, I can't imagine the reason.

Courts take ages to solve heritages and quarrels between heirs... This palace is supposed to belong to some people who inherited it.

Degradation is obvious and it accelerates in exponential values: the more degraded, the more quickly it degrades. A shame.

I predict that is 20 years the palace will be a ruin. Then, no visits will be possible.

Antonio,

This is not a problem unique to Portugal. In the UK, Eireland and France and Even in Beverly Hills, California, families who cannot afford the upkeep of large estates may donate them to the local government. However, without an administering organization in place with finding, the gift becomes a burden. First there needs to be lavish funding to attract and keep competent and professional administrative and technical staff. There's whole raft of needs to consider: how the property can be self funded and to what extent, how it should be marketed, local business and tourist infrastructural support, local opposition to traffic and outsiders and so much more.

Best is when the donor is not just giving up in exhaustion, but can actually build the responsible umbrella organization before they die or otherwise bow out of responsibility.

So it's survival of the fittest. When they can fill it with art, only then is thete a natural flow of tourists to make the project viable!

Life is full of tragedies - all the musicians and writers who don't get recognition, children who are not educated and entire communities obsessed with hate for another community they really have no business disliking at all.

So when a rich, aggressive business tycoon gives his treasure and provides a mansion to house it for the public, we have to hold our noses and say, "Thank You!" Or when charities feed the children in order to convert them, the same.

We are so bloody imperfect while suits, poetry and 60" wide photographic art might make it seem we're civilized, we are really so fundamentally clumsy, short sighted and irresponsible, just intoxicated more by our immediate needs than a balance that is more protective to the entire world we dominate!

Yesterday, a homeless character, a well known denizen in Chicago, was discovered badly beaten! So vandalization is not just of fine old buildings, but even of the derelict of our own people!

I cannot explain this at all!

Asher

Asher Kelman

i-M4QkgJN-X2.jpg

Alexandra Patuleia took my picture while adjusting something on the camera.

i-Bv6877L-M.png

An informal and careless photo from the entrance.

i-KqkXhKt-S.jpg

Antonio,

These are important and too interesting to be shown so small! You might want to reconsider the total devotion to close up and perfectly orthogonal compositions. After all, you are not making samples to show a funding committee committed to bringing the buildings back to their past glory. And even then, some erraticism could actually help this collection be persuasive. The order you provide is perhaps too perfect to allow even the second hand on a clock to move, so time has stopped .........there are no spider webs and debris!

Is it really needed to be so pristine and perfect?

I would argue for a few ultra-wide and wilder pictures from surprising angles to show the decay. They also give context.

I feel allowed to be so open about my critique as you have already established yourself with disciplined coherent portrait, landscape and urban transformation portfolios, each of which have immediately earned you wide acceptance and praise. So now, we have such a large social issue of decaying public treasures that should be part of our common heritage, I feel you will readily allow my rather aggressive feedback!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Charlotte ! :)

Asher, you are not being harsh. You know that I have photographed the place before but under a wider perspective.
Now I felt like doing some details of the decay using color.
Thank you Asher for your comment. Much appreciated. :)
Here, you will see the hole set of images.

i-C4RQXqL-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

I commend you, Antonio for your focus. I realize you have a great advantage in that you have the trained mind of an architect. That and your natural talent and the experience from a major body of formal thoughtful portraiture brings together a lot of resources and you apply them with discipline.

Bravo!

Asher.