• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Size Matters! ?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Without even reading hte manual I went to work. The first pictures ended up being sRGB and JPG only! But what I have discovered is that the in camera processing of the Fuji files is brilliant for colors a;though it may not comprehend and predic what should be the distribution of light.

So I am owrking with RAW files and trying to match the beautiful colors or the camera's JPG engine, using CC Photoshop 2018 without any lens or camera profiles.

At the North of Santa Monica Boulevard which like Olympic and Sunset, run all the weay West to the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica, Beverly Hills has always maintained a walking park, some 30-40 meters wide with beautiful landscaping.

_DSF1018 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Yellow flower Santa Monica Gardens
32-64 Fuji lens, 32mm,1/500, ISO 200, f 7.1
CC Photoshop 2018 process from RAW

Note the extraordinarilly shallow DOF even with f7.1 aperture! But this is Medium Format! So GFX shooting requires some really high figure f stops to get everything sharp!

Asher

James Lemon

Asher

The pictures are presented too large for some monitors and not an enjoyable viewing experience.

James

Asher Kelman

Asher

The pictures are presented too large for some monitors and not an enjoyable viewing experience.

James

What size would you like?

On an iPhone it's perfect!

It's fine on my MacBook Pro 17"

I will check it on a smaller Macbook too!

Asher

James Lemon

What size would you like?

The first imag is 1200 pixels wide, the second is just 600!

On an iPhone it's perfect!

It's fine on my MacBook Pro 17"

I will check it on a smaller Macbook too!

Asher

An Ipad and such they work but on a non touch screen they are too big. Not sure of the size?

James

Doug Kerr

For what it's worth, my usual practice for images on this forum and other similar contexts is that I size them to a maximum dimension of 800 px.

I don't often look at pictures on my telephone.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

For what it's worth, my usual practice for images on this forum and other similar contexts is that I size them to a maximum dimension of 800 px.

I don't often look at pictures on my telephone.

Best regards,

Doug

Hello Doug

This is about the size that I post as well. Somewhere between 800 & 1200 might work good.

James

Asher Kelman

_DSF1018_950.jpg

This is the uncropped picture at 900 pixels wide. Is this problematic on your monitors?

Asher

Robert Watcher

For me the problem has never been about the size of the images (although larger images take much longer to display) - it’s that this forum software is not current and does not responsively adjust the images or post fields so that they are all the same width according to the device they are being viewed on. As a result when you scroll down the page on something like an iPad, phone or other portable device, you have to be enlarging and contacting the page constantly to see or read each response. Not an enjoyable experience for me.

Here is a screen shot of what one section of a current post looks like to me on my iPad. On my iPhone (which I use mostly to view web content) it is virtually impossible to see what is going on from to top to bottom unless images in every reply to a thread are the same size:

E0142701-E06D-4D5B-957A-50BE65032DE4.png

——————

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

_DSF1018_950.jpg

This is the uncropped picture at 900 pixels wide. Is this problematic on your monitors?
It looks lovely on my display system with resolution 1920 px × 1200 px. With the "normal" setting for the browser "zoom" ("100%") and the normal scope of the browser window, it is scaled in rendering to occupy 1124 px × 844 px of that real estate.

I tried to view it on my favorite telephone (a Western Electric 500D-3) but the handset cord kept getting in the way.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Thanks Robert!

So can we standardize size, perhaps. What would you suggest?

We miust make an exception for Panoramas or we could click through for a larger size.

I have to get someone to update OPF. I have paid for the new version long ago and we can host all the images. When the image is uploaded, if it is not the right size it could be automatically resized down to that size.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So can we standardize size, perhaps. What would you suggest?

Of course, it depends in part as to how you specify it (unless you want to prescribe a fixed aspect ratio). For example, one is tempted to prescribe (only) a maximum pixel width, but suppose that is made 960 px and someone posts a file that is 960 px × 2750 px. Some will complain about having to scroll vertically. But if the poster makes it 280 px × 800 px instead, some will say it is "too small to see".

We miust make an exception for Panoramas or we could click through for a larger size.
Probably.

I have to get someone to update OPF. I have paid for the new version long ago and we can host all the images.

Oooh! I think that will be good.

When the image is uploaded, if it is not the right size it could be automatically resized down to that size
I guess. A little scary.

Best regards,

Doug

James Lemon

_DSF1018_950.jpg

Asher

This looks good on my monitor I think 900 on the long edge would be optimum.

James

Robert Watcher

A responsive web design solution, is to simply add a CSS code snippet to your stylesheet (or in the
HTML:
<head></head>
of the html page ):

Code:
img {max-width:100%; height:auto; }

What this will do is make all post images scale to the device width, while letting images remain at full size on displays that will handle the pixel dimensions.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to implement for you, but I tested it on your forum in Chrome where one can overwrite CSS code on any website that they are viewing --- and it worked. With this post all larger images scaled to a narrower width and allowed all replies to be exactly the same width.

Just a suggestion for you. But it is a simple fix that can be quickly added to the forum as it is.

I have no idea, but it could well be that the new version of vBulletin that you already have, will allow for these various sizes of image and be more responsive so they fill the space better. You just to install it.

---

Asher Kelman

A responsive web design solution, is to simply add a CSS code snippet to your stylesheet (or in the
HTML:
<head></head>
of the html page ):

Code:
img {max-width:100%; height:auto; }

What this will do is make all post images scale to the device width, while letting images remain at full size on displays that will handle the pixel dimensions.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to implement for you, but I tested it on your forum in Chrome where one can overwrite CSS code on any website that they are viewing --- and it worked. With this post all larger images scaled to a narrower width and allowed all replies to be exactly the same width.

Just a suggestion for you.

Although it could well be that the new version that you already have, will allow for these various sizes of image and be more responsive so they fill the space better. You just to install it.

---

Let me PM you.

Asher