Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > OPF Look, Feel, and Vibe

OPF Look, Feel, and Vibe Comments & suggestions to the site.

Old March 31st, 2012, 05:04 AM

I have a corner shop selling groceries and some other stuff. A family operation. Mainly for the neighborhood, and for the few passersby that stop in for purchases..mostly a pack of cigarettes, youghurt etc. A family run operation..if one can call it that.

I know the shop and the family from way back. I try to stop there once or twice a day to pick up some fruit juice, cigarettes; have a talk..

A little further down the road, by car, is a 2 sq km hypermarket. Actually 3 of them in different directions.
There is Starbucks too! There are gas stations. Branch of my bank, ATMs, Pharmacies, Nikon dealer branch, Electronic shops..you get the picture..Inventory stocked from all over the globe.

Once in a while, at the corner shop, I run into a neighbour. So we talk, buy a few things.

I stop by the corner shop not for products neccessarily, but to keep in touch with the old man who runs it. I would keep in touch with him even if he did not run the corner shop.

His shop is a dying business. His business model failed him a long time ago. As has his reluctance to re-invent his business.

But I have too much invested in that corner shop. It belongs to a friend.

I visit the corner shop for more than just to buy my groceries. I have the Danube, next door for that. Times have changed since the old man opened his corner shop.

And the newcomers that I run into in the cornershop? They do not know me, and neither I them. Just strangers on the way to pick up a packet of cigarettes. And I am too old to strike up new relationships.
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:19 AM

You are never too old.
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
You are never too old.
Hi Jerome.

Of course one gets too old for certain things. ' What things ' varies from one to the other.

To say otherwise is to deny reality.
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahim mohammed View Post
Hi Jerome.

Of course one gets too old for certain things. ' What things ' varies from one to the other.

To say otherwise is to deny reality.
Fahim,

with all due respect... nothing is real...

or is it?
Old March 31st, 2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hampton View Post
nothing is real...
Of course not. This is the Internet.
Old March 31st, 2012, 10:15 AM

Mark, you are right. Or is it Jerome?

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Mark, you are right. Or is it Jerome?

Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.
Fahim, I bow to your logic :-)
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Fahim,

with all due respect... nothing is real...

or is it?
But, my friend, "Nothing" cannot be!

So "nothing is real" cannot be true either.

Sentiment, however, is real as any solid object can be as long as we are here to experience emotions.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
So what was in the beginning, before "thing" came to be? The word?
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
So what was in the beginning, before "thing" came to be? The word?
Physics waiting to happen!

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 7th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Banned

What did God say immediately after the Big Bang?

'oops!'
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:

So "nothing is real" cannot be true either.

Sentiment, however, is real as any solid object can be as long as we are here to experience emotions.

Asher
' Nothing ' is real. And ' nothing is real '. Two differing propositions.

Which one of them is being discussed.
Old April 11th, 2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Physics waiting to happen!
' Physics ' must have been there before to sustain the ' nothingness '. Somethig has to sustain and maintain the state of ' nothing '. Else it would not remain ' nothing '.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
' Nothing ' is real. And ' nothing is real '. Two differing propositions.

Which one of them is being discussed.
both ov dem fahim!

thats that cleared up.

tom there was no big bang - but there was a big band !

' Physics ' must have been there before to sustain the ' nothingness '. Somethig has to sustain and maintain the state of ' nothing '. Else it would not remain ' nothing ' - wrong before nothing there was the big band.

ok !
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wolf View Post
Hi Jake,

Not to steer this thread off course, but I agree with Asher on this. There's a whole genre of serious photography that is focused on those close to us. Sean Reid has a wonderful article on this subject on his paid site. He cites Walt Odets, among others. I find Odets work inspiring.

There is also a school of so-called "Family Journalism" that you might enjoy looking into.

The point is that family life and serious photography can be integrated. You're likely making pictures of loved ones anyway, so why not do so with the mindset of artist? You'll be enriched by it and your family albums will be far more than a collection of snapshots.

John
Just to get back to this earlier post by John. Sean Reid is an excellent reporter. Consider a subscription to his website. Lots of insight into lenses, especially is one wants a camera that uses Leica mount lenses.

Asher

Old April 11th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom dinning View Post
who was it that said: 'If its not about me I'm not interested'. I think it was Jerry Seinfeld. We all laughted nervously because we know how true that can be.
Yes, that's true. But "Wait, there's more!" (Ginsu knife ad) Getting "more", part of our nature, can be about information and entertainment and not just greed for material "chatkas" or junk you don't really need.

That's the hook for me. Here we have the ability to see through keyholes and windows with the owners permission! Take your own PDF book, for example. What do we get? A glimpse into your whole life. Same with Fahim Mohammed on his amazing travels or Mark Hampton on the "Reading the Reading" thread, looking at things in his odd way.

...and much more!

Asher

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Else it would not remain ' nothing ' - wrong before nothing there was the big band.

ok !
Mark, as we all know sound has to travel thru a medium. Even ' Band ' sounds. Now what could that medium be? I am partially deaf, so not much experience of Bangs or Bands..Big or otherwise.
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Just to get back to this earlier post by John. Sean Reid is an excellent reporter. Consider a subscription to his website. Lots of insight into lenses, especially is one wants a camera that uses Leica mount lenses.

Asher
I was a regular. But his Flash based site, with printing off, and the difficult reading display set-up made me give up.

Pity. I really respect his thoroughness and attention to detail. Well worth the cost..bar the reading process.
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Mark Hampton on the "Reading the Reading" thread, looking at things in his odd way.
nothing odd about the way I look at things .... they way i write is odd.. M Hampton - Slayer of threads !