• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epsson Printer Drivers for Leopard available

Tim Armes

Hi,

Just to let you all know that Epson have released some temporary drivers for Leopard for printers such as the 3800. They're compatible, but not fully functional. They don't say what isn't possible.

Full versions will be released in December or February, depending on the printer model.

Tim

Hello Tim,

I believe that new drivers are here for the wide-format printing line, at least on the Epson U.K. and France (and probably other European) sites. There is also a new paper profile for 'Traditional Photo Paper' that naturally has a different name in the U.S. and quite conceivably is the one made by the PixelGenius color mavens.

Tim Armes

Hi Ralph,

I'm confused by the whole thing. I own a 3800, so I'll talk about that.

The UK web site has version 6.1 of the printer driver. They don't mention the level of Leopard support available, they just say that it's compatible with 10.5.

The US web site only has version 3.5cE, and they say that the "driver is OS X v10.5 compatible, not full-featured, and therefore, will offer only limited printing support (see FAQs for more information)"

This leaves me with a number of questions:

What are the missing features? The FAQ doesn't tell us.
Is the UK version fully-featured?
Why aren't they the same version?
What happened to versions 4 and 5?
Have they been nice enough to support a 16-bit pipeline, or is that reserved for the xx80s?

Anyway, I've downloaded version 6.1 and it seems to be working fine.

Tim

Tim

Alain Briot

pro member
Tim,

It's not uncommon for international versions to have different numbers. The numbering is country-dependent at times I think. The versions though might be the same.

I recommend using the latest version going by the release date, not by the number. That way you are sure to have the most recent one.

Or continue going to the same site, be it US, UK, or other, and keep track of which version you used previously. If you switch from one country to another, new versions may not be announced at the same time.

ALain

Stan Jirman

Anyone printing to the 4800 from Adobe apps when on Leopard? That printer seems to be horked, even using the UK drivers. My R1800 works fine, in comparison.

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Leopard has been a disaster for me. 2 full days lost now. I don't understand how a company can release a product which is clearly not ready to work in conjunction with another major tool in the production process.

Ray West

Hi Paul,

I don't understand how a company can release a product which is clearly not ready to work in conjunction with another major tool in the production process.

It's very, very simple. It costs less for them to let the public do the testing, then to do it themselves.

Best wishes,

Ray

Paul Bestwick

pro member
Hi Ray,

yea, I said as much to my Apple guy today....... that I was totally not impressed that I was a beta tester for their half baked product.
Kinda funny, first the MK3 now the OS.........

Ray West

Hi Paul,

Of course Apple is not alone in this. It applies to anything that is sort of complicated in use. Some faults will never be discovered, others at the wrong time. At least, you've found your problems early on, and hopefully can stay with stuff that works OK for you. It's no use having bells and whistles, if it can't play the right tune ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

ps actually not necessary to be 'complicated in use' - kettles that don't pour properly, paint brushes with bristles that fall out, wood screws with heads that shear off.... etc.