• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Getty Museum, Los Angeles, CA

I hardly do any architecture type landscape shooting, so don't have much specific to say here, but I find these images very appealing. I'll be interested in hearing other's comments, but I like these a lot.

Thanks for posting!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

You have picked a wonderful challenge. The Getty Museum in Los Angeles is one of the most outstanding architectural treasures in California.

One could write an essay each on just the doors, the stairs, the stone or the garden.

The choices you have made for images are interesting and show the potential. I'm not sure that the web allows the full greyscale of your first image to be represented. However, I can see that as a magnificent print. I would go for a broader tonal range with a lighter sky. Also I might favor stitching two or three adjacent images to give more context and setting for the architecture. Still this is a matter of taste, but I do feel that there is more to see laterally and below to maximize the viewer experience.

It is likely that you already have the required images to try other versions. There is IMHO, a lot of room for experimentation here.

The second view of the overhang to the side of the Getty is one I have taken in full sun. I must admit that I didn't think of trying it at sunset. Conveniently, sunset does come in fairly early in L.A. Here is another challenge to make the overhang contrast perfectly against the sky, (as you have pretty well cinched) and also showing the scene below.

I would suggest experimenting with developing an extra copy of the RAW for the shadows and combining the two.

The last image, is, I think more difficult as the compositon is complex.

I commend you for your excercises.

BTW, I think Rainer in Architecture might be helpful.

Perhaps this thread should be in that section?

In any case, if you like, I'd be happy to have an L.A. trip to the Getty to photograph there.

Anyone else interested?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Matt,

I had the pleasure of visiting your website.

Your pictures have the definate hallmark of an architectural photographer. The picture of the Getty with the leaf shadows on the right is especially wonderful, being giving setting for the slice of building.

The pictures from the exhibition for children were interesting and I'd like to learn more.

Glad you are a film user. You are so welcome.

The re is a forum for film here and you could be a great help there. We would love to see a build up of that forum.

Re posting images, what are you doing? You should be able to reference your images to your own website and have them appear here.

You and Tom have picked the Getty as a subject to photograph that I feel is one of the richest architectural structures of the 20th Century. However, that is just my opinion!

I love the different approaches.

Asher

Matt Laver

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
Your pictures have the definate hallmark of an architectural photographer. The picture of the Getty with the leaf shadows on the right is especially wonderful, being giving setting for the slice of building.

The pictures from the exhibition for children were interesting and I'd like to learn more.

Glad you are a film user. You are so welcome.

The re is a forum for film here and you could be a great help there. We would love to see a build up of that forum.

Re posting images, what are you doing? You should be able to reference your images to your own website and have them appear here.

You and Tom have picked the Getty as a subject to photograph that I feel is one of the richest architectural structures of the 20th Century. However, that is just my opinion!

I love the different approaches.

Asher

Hi Asher

Thank you for your kind remarks. I am particularly fond of the Getty image you mention. It was one of those instances when a little time spent experiencing the subject and contemplating all the different elements brought together an image where, with a little luck thrown in, everything plays together to describe the subject. The leaf shadows fitting in the courtyard, the diagonal wall shadow disecting the square wall and the sun glancing off the different faces of the buildings bringing out the contrast in textures.

I agree too that the Getty is a rich structure. I could spend weeks in and around the 'village' of spaces, before I've even started to look at the art.

The children's exhibition was a fascinating project. The castles they imagined and built, out of just white card and masking tape were amazing. There is more info about it on my site at:

http://www.mattlaver.com/article.asp?ArticleID=5

And also more examples of the images at:

http://www.mattlaver.com/project_photos.asp?ProjectID=34&PortfolioType=Artistic&Section=Projects

At the bottom of each image there should be an 'info' icon that brings up some more text about them if you haven't found it already.

Regarding the film thing I am a film user but the info on my site is slightly out of date and I am now making the transition into high-end digital, as most working photogs are needing to these days I think, so i'm currently enjoying the steep learning curve that that has brung going from 6x9 film to Aptus 75/Cambo WDS/Digitar and the myriad new skills necessary for the revised 'workflow'.

Lastly on posting images I haven't really tried to get a handle on it yet so - nothing - would be the answer to that question. Too many other new things to worry about just now.

Thanks again for having a look at the site.

Matt

Sorry Tom, I don't mean to be hi-jacking your thread. Now back to Tom.....

Asher Kelman

Tom,

An interesting thing happened. Now your first B&W image is growing on me! Perhaps it was time, maybe the stark straight lines of Matt's work. Still your first image does have a unique mood. Not yet ominous but there is power expressed in the building.

I'd love to see a wider version of that.

asher

Matt Laver

pro member
Hi Tom

I wasn't specifically looking for critiques but its always good to get other people's feedback on one's own images.

I agree the person on the right of 3 is distracting but it was one of those situations where I just couldn't get the image free of people, since I was shooting on a day that was open to the public. I've tried cropping them out but then it eats into the trees and it feels unbalanced to me.

Yes, lens distortions and I don't get along very well. It must be the architectural doctine in me. Ironically these were all shot hand held with a fixed lens, so no view-camera movements to correct the verticals. I tried to minimise the problem but its there in most of the shots and eats away at my soul. ;-)

What do you call that last image? Full moon over Los Angeles? The naked truth about art?

Matt

Asher Kelman

Tom Yi said:
Ah, that's my little pet project. Moonie the Mooning Gnome. I take him from place to place and pose him for a shot or two from time to time.

Incidentally, Tom, the concept has interesting metaphorical meaning.

I really like it. How large is the little show off?

Asher