• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News in the US of A

Dierk Haasis

pro member
I just happened upon some nice info on the State of the News in the US. Since Mr Emerson already did a very good job in condensing and writing up the gist, I leave it to you to read his account.

Against Barry Manilow, he lost out against Barry Manilow's one-time show? Man, sometimes humans really manifest their worst ... And beware of teddy bears!

Last edited:

Don Lashier

Well, I agree, and would add Keith Olbermann, particularly since he added his Special Comment section. I've pratically quit watching network news between Keith, Chris Matthews, and even Joe Scarborough since he seems to have turned on his own party. Does anyone like Bush anymore? Where's Goldwater when we need him?

btw, I had to hunt for your link since the first thing I do in a browser setup is turn off the damn underlines and OPF doesn't show links in a different color!

- DL

Nill Toulme

Don Lashier said:
...btw, I had to hunt for your link since the first thing I do in a browser setup is turn off the damn underlines and OPF doesn't show links in a different color!
It does for me. Are you using one of those highly-perfumed alternative browsers they're touting over in the other thread? ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

KrisCarnmarker

I agree with the author of the article. This is another example of research into the obvious. Satire is just a different approach to commenting on current issues right? The subject remains the same whether it is a "real news" broadcast or a "fake news" broadcast. Often, satire can be more direct but it is also subjective and therefore should maybe not be considered "real news" (?).

Don Lashier

Nill Toulme said:
It does for me. Are you using one of those highly-perfumed alternative browsers they're touting over in the other thread? ;-)
Nope, links don't show in IE either. I turn off underline because of all the clutter it causes but leave "underline on mouseover" so if I drag the mouse over the text I can find the links with some effort. Whenever I post a link I change the color to blue so you can easily spot them.

- DL

Nill Toulme

KrisCarnmarker said:
I agree with the author of the article. This is another example of research into the obvious. Satire is just a different approach to commenting on current issues right? The subject remains the same whether it is a "real news" broadcast or a "fake news" broadcast. Often, satire can be more direct but it is also subjective and therefore should maybe not be considered "real news" (?).

I was reading the headlines on the CNN website to my wife last night ... it really has gotten difficult to distinguish satire from, uh, the word I want is not "reality" but the right one escapes me. Who was it who wrote several years ago of "The Death of Irony?"

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Don Lashier said:
btw, I had to hunt for your link since the first thing I do in a browser setup is turn off the damn underlines and OPF doesn't show links in a different color!
Hi Don

I feel being generous today !-)

What about the color for Normal Links now?
to check its color, look here : http://www.google.com

Mary Bull

Nicolas, on my screen, the link font color is one shade paler than the link font color on the Google website.

I can still make it out, although slightly less comfortably than at Google. But don't change it on my account, I'm doing fine reading at OPF.

Some of Dierk's green fonts are quite difficult for my eyes to resolve here at OPF; I can't quite resolve the text to read it (has nothing to do with font size) although I see the green. Yellow washes out for me to "barely there." And red, which Asher uses sometimes for emphasis or clarification, glares at me so that I have to make an effort to read it. Interestingly, I don't mind the reds at Google. There's a sort of luminosity about some HTML colors that makes them simply difficult for me.

It's peculiar to me. A consequence of my own personal set of eye anatomy.

Mary
(just happy to be here)

nicolas claris

Hi Mary

If you see a link colored with pale grey, it means that it is an already "visited" link by you…
[just happy to see you here !-)]

Mary Bull

Okay. I checked it out by bringing up your first message on feeling generous, above.

I can barely distinguish that pale gray to read it. But I won't worry about resolving its text, because of your tip. I'll know I've been there and not to bother.

Thanks a mil.

Mary

Mary Bull

I got a bit off-topic from the color-tag for links discussion.

Digressed to all colors used in messages. And may have even had a faulty memory of what I had seen, and where.

So, again, my apologies, Dierk.

Mary

Mary Bull

Thanks for explaining.

I had a faulty memory.

Just knew I had missed reading a few footnotes, some time back.

Mary

nicolas claris

Have finished the work, links are now underlined only when you rollover it with your mouse…
Hope everybody will like this new design feature…

Mary Bull

Works great for me, Nicolas.

I'm experiencing it similarly to what happens with "New Posts" on the bar at the top of the Forums page.

All the bars appear in a light brown shade for me, with white lettering--very hard for my eyes to resolve. But I discovered early on that just by rolling my mouse across I could see the text in clear, contrasty black, and find my way to "New Posts" or my User Control Panel, or wherever else I wanted to go, with ease.

Mary

Cem_Usakligil

Nicolas Claris said:
Have finished the work, links are now underlined only when you rollover it with your mouse…
Hope everybody will like this new design feature…
Hi Nicolas,

Although I appreciate your hard work in getting this done, I personally think that this is not a very good development. With underlines, one can see immediately where a link is located. Without underlines, one has to do some guesswork by moving the mouse pointer around the page, hunting for links as it were. I know that links show in a different colour, but many pages at OPF are rather colourful these days, so this can lead to confusion. Nevertheless, don't mind my nit-picking please, I'm fine either way. (smile)

Cheers,

Cem

nicolas claris

Cem and Don
I can make you both happy?
This is the hard life of the sailor…
(French locution, meaning that it has to be accepted as is…)

Cem_Usakligil

Nicolas Claris said:
Cem and Don
I can make you both happy?
This is the hard life of the sailor…
(French locution, meaning that it has to be accepted as is…)
Hi Nicolas,

As I wrote before, you don't have make me happy, I am happy already. (big smile)

I was just pointing to the fact that removing the underlines creates a so-called "mistery" interface and forces the visitor to guessing things rather than seeing them immediately. Ever since the web has been accessible in a GUI, the URLs have been underlined. So it is a very fundamental part of the users' learned experience and their expectation when visiting sites. Recently this has started to change (like here now). I have been an advocate of web usability in the past and I still have mixed feelings about this change. Personally, I'm OK, but the public at large maybe get confused. And the last thing a web master wants to do is to confuse his/her visitors, isn't it? Nevertheless, please forgive me my ramblings.

Speaking of sailors, BTW, I just saw the boat race photo you've posted here!. This is incredible stuff! Monsieur has no rights to complain about the hard life of sailors (big grin coupled to a bit of a jelaousy).

Cheers,

Cem