• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Photographed Cat

Mary Bull

It's the title of a book:

The Photographed Cat
Great Photographers on Cats

Henri Cartier-Bresson * Arnold Newman
Jill Krementz * Bruce Davidson * Andre Kertesz
Carl Fisher * Leonard Freed * Duane Michals * Ruth Orkin
Barbara Morgan * Bill Hayward * Jill Friedman
Philippe Halsman * Peter B. Kaplan * and many more
Edited by J.C. Suares
Text by Chris Casson Madden

Late this morning I bundled up against the cold and walked several blocks to The Copper Kettle, a small cafeteria-style restaurant in a little strip mall that also includes Rhino BookSellers (Used, Rare, Endangered).

I was at the small shopping center about 15 minutes before The Copper Kettle would open its doors. So I went into Rhino to browse its bookshelves, especially the art, photography, and poetry sections.

This book, which I bought, was published in 1980, by Doubleday & Co., Garden City, New York.

I acquired it (used, of course) for $6.00 U.S. It's paperback, about 8 1/2 x 11 x 1/4 inches. And gorgeous. Absolutely glorious black-and-white cat photos, with a few wonderful photos in color, also.

I'd like to quote a small part of the text (fair use) from the first page of comment. The book opens with two double-page-spread images of beautiful cats, their photos cropped just above the eyes.

Here's the relevant text. I hope someone will want to discuss it with me:

Quoted from The Photographed Cat, "Introduction":

Cats have nine lives.

The average photographer has a studio, several cameras, a dark-room, an assistant, an answering machine...and a cat. This book is about the friendship between photographers and cats.

The cat made his appearance in art long before the invention of the camera. He was sculpted by the Egyptians thirty centuries ago, and painted for the past thousand years, in Europe as well as in Japan. J.B. Greuze painted cats during the eighteenth century, Francisco Goya included cats in early nineteenth century etchings, and Pablo Picasso did an etching of a cat in 1942.

By the time the camera was invented, the cat had already (a) found himself in the language of art and (b) become a fixture in the artist's studio. It was only a matter of time before he would stroll before the lens. ...
The photos are wonderful--from Harry Warnecke's 1925 New York image of a mother cat carrying her kitten across the street while a policeman holds back the traffic and a crowd looks on (actually Warnecke managed to re-stage this scene, after he missed by a hair capturing the original event) to Henri Cartier-Bresson's "Shop Window," Paris, 1968. And everything in between, beginning with Eadweard Maybridge's Animal Locomotion 717, The Cat, 1884, and concluding with Jere Cockrell's pet cat, Ling, New York City, 1980 (back cover).

Quoting from The Photographed Cat,
back cover:

I was sitting on the floor in my kitchen loading my camera, and this was the first one off the roll. It was taken in the evening with a flash, and that's why Ling's eyes are so bleached out.
Ling is a black cat, like my M&M. The kitchen floor boards are wide, polished wood. Grain looks like walnut to me, and the brown is dark, with black patterns from the natural cross-section of the tree.

But Ling is blacker still, and the dark background only emphasizes her left foreleg as she steps toward the camera. The frame ends there, and it ends at the top just above her glowing yellow eyes .

Magnificent photo, flash-bleached eyes and all.

Ling is not centered. She is two-thirds of the way toward the righthand edge of the frame.

I love her.

Mary

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Great find, Mary.

Serendipity favors the prepared! Is the book in print?

Asher
It's available from 14 of Amazon.com's Market Partners, new and used, both in hard cover and paperback.

I don't know whether these are remainders or whether the book is still in print at Doubleday.

Mary

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Well,

I was waiting to see some Cat Photos! Pages and Pages of them. While Cats are amazing, photogenic animals, there seems to be an obsession with photographing them on some photo websites. While I am a true animal person, I was glad not to see that here!

KAThy aka ChatKAT

Don Lashier

Kathy Rappaport said:
I was waiting to see some Cat Photos! Pages and Pages of them. While Cats are amazing, photogenic animals, there seems to be an obsession with photographing them on some photo websites. While I am a true animal person, I was glad not to see that here!

KAThy aka ChatKAT

Hi KAThy,

guess you haven't discovered the pet forum yet? - plenty of cat photos there, although like Lake Wobegon children - they're all above average.

- DL

Mary Bull

Cats in the Pet's Corner, Book Reviews in the Layback Cafe

Kathy Rappaport said:

KAThy aka ChatKAT
Oh, Asher wouldn't let me get away with that. (Just kidding. But he does offer me guidance, PM, and I try to keep the quality of my posts up and not bore the majority of those who are kind enough to read what I write.)

That's the great thing about having so many venues (sub-fora) to choose from here at OPF. We who love cat photos (good ones, at least) and photos of other animals that we regard as pets, have the Pet's Corner, which Don (who moderates it) mentions.

When you're in the mood, drop in on us over there. You might even have a cat photo of your own to share with us. I promise you that they are all above average, except my shot of Thistle's head and paw seen through a crack under a door. And even that was worth inflicting on folks here, because it helped me improve. At the time I was just getting acquainted with the awesome capabilities of my Canon G2.

Mary, the Amateur
(lover of cats and photography)

Last edited: