• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Becoming a Pentax Ambassador for the K3

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
During the meeting I had yesterday with people of the Ricoh Pentax European headquarters yesterday.
They asked me if I would agree to become a Pentax Ambassador for the K3…
They have been happy with my collaboration for the GR (and also for the 645D BTW), so why not go ahead?
Of course I gladly accepted and have now a sweet little camera with 2 prime lens, 21 and 70 mm.

The deal is to provide my feedback and some photos too…

And I have a nice pro back-up to the 645D in case of a really high wave…
AA-filter-free 24-megapixel CMOS image sensor

click for Camera link
main_img_01.jpg

main_img_04.jpg

click for 21 mm lens link
img-hdpentax-da-21.jpg

click for 70 mm lens link
img-hdpentax-da-70.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Congratulations! 24MP, fast AF and multi-zone WB are wonderfully made in a compact package!

We're all proud of you, Nicolas!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Nicolas,

Congratulations!

I am using the K-3 now for 5 weeks and it is a considerable step up from the K-5 classic.
The two lenses work fine with the K-3. The DA 18-135 is pretty good as well.
This one and these were taken with K-3 and DA 18-135 as well as the below shot.

The latest few of the Munich Underground series are taken with K-3 and DA 12-24/4 and this one with K-3 and F 50/1.7.

There are chances that you will like this camera...

Best regards,
Michael

nicolas claris

I easily guess you're right Nigel!
I remember your images but didn't know they were shot with a Pentax…
What processing raw converter do you use? LR?
I gave some try a year ago to Silkypix but didn't find it handy to say the least…

Michael Nagel

Hi Nicolas,

Most are OOC jpegs for the K-5 and K-3 (yes, the jpeg engine is pretty good), before it was usually PSE (K100Ds, K200D, K-7), now sometimes dcraw in the flavor of rawtherapee. DNG is the way to go.

In terms of DSLR I am using Pentax for almost 7 years now, it is just that I do not write/talk much about gear...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Hi Nicolas,

Most are OOC jpegs for the K-5 and K-3 (yes, the jpeg engine is pretty good), before it was usually PSE (K100Ds, K200D, K-7), now sometimes dcraw in the flavor of rawtherapee. DNG is the way to go.

In terms of DSLR I am using Pentax for almost 7 years now, it is just that I do not write/talk much about gear...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

You do a great job in sharing the results of your considerations to end up with the camera system you use. Although it's not something you brag or obsess about, you do provide a resource of considerable experience for folk who have never thought of trying out a Pentax camera.

I'm an enthusiast at everything I see and touch, so of course, I bubble over at the idea that my original favorite camera company survived Hoya and now is being fully supported by Ricoh. Each has contributed major original ideas to modern photography in small cameras. This new close working together has saved a major inventory of expertise and photographer's insight, all the Pentax camera experience, from bring lost.

So bravo to you Nigel for you for consistently showing us such well composed and architecturally admirable work in such an artistic way.

Nicolas will provide an entirely different photographer's viewpoint and hopefully more of us will share their work and promote and support what is an important asset to photography, the viability of this brand! ......................and besides, it's pretty damn marvelous anyway!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

I just wanted to provide a little contribution of pictures made with this camera because I happen to use it as well.

Now I am curious on the work of Nicolas and his experiences with the camera and this is where the attention should be.

Best regards,
Michael

nicolas claris

Tatata Michael
Showing your images and pointing out that you shoot for long with Pentax(s) including your fabulous work on underground stations is a great contribution for me, and I'm more than glad you did show. As I'm sure Asher is also.
I do admire your work, so never hesitate to post texts and images in my threads!
I'll be honored.

nicolas claris

These are just superb Michael!

Below is image #37 from the K3… more to comme soon…

_IMG0037_K3.jpg

PENTAX-DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited - 21,0 mm smc - 1/250 s; f/8; ISO 400
Nice dynamic…

Asher Kelman

Most enjoyable, all those tiny figures silhouetted against the sky.

Michael,

I have a joy to see the Pentax brand thriving, albeit as part of the Ricoh brand. This camera is such a power tool of remarkable capability. The only other small camera to compete is the Olympus 4/3. In fact, without Pentax, Olympus would be the obvious choice for pros wanting a small high quality reliable camera with a bevy of superb lenses. But, the large APS-C sensor and wider dynamic range males Pentax a hard player or better.

I appreciate that you are adding your voice here!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Below is image #37 from the K3… more to come soon…

_IMG0037_K3.jpg

PENTAX-DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited - 21,0 mm smc - 1/250 s; f/8; ISO 400
Nice dynamic…

Nicolas,

Is this a vineyard in Bordeaux? Do they protect the plants with straw in the winter?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Below is image #37 from the K3… more to comme soon…
(PIC)
Nice dynamic…
Nicolas,

Yes, the dynamic range is great, but a bit below the one of the K-5, not much, but worth noting.

Thanks. I just had to include a cat picture for fun.
Somewhere on the internet there was a thread on an imageboard called:
Show you cat picture taken with ridicilously expensive equipment.
I remember seeing pretty ordinary cat pictures shot with D3S plus expensive lens and similar grade equipment... ;)

The last one is darker, but so was the weather and my mood that moment...

Edit: I like the boat picture. My impression with the K-3 is, that the tonalities are improved. What is your take on that when comparing with the 645D? Any comments on usability?

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Olympiaberg-abends
Most enjoyable, all those tiny figures silhouetted against the sky.
Thanks - for me this is one aspect of the picture. This is also a picture which contains multiple views like this one.
Take the part in the middle with the tree and the planet above it, take the tree to the right with the warmer colors as backdrop...

... Olympus would be the obvious choice for pros wanting a small high quality reliable camera with a bevy of superb lenses. But, the large APS-C sensor and wider dynamic range males Pentax a hard player or better.
Olympus has fantastic lenses, but you should not forget the Pentax Limited lenses, the A*, F*, FA* and DA* lenses. The DA* 50-135/2.8 is a fantastic zoom lens which offers roughly the same FoV like a 70-200 lens on a 36x24mm sensor. The DoF is more like a 70-200/4 of course... The lens series cited can be used without restrictions in terms of exposure control and (except for the A* series which are manual focus lenses) AF on current Pentax DSLRs.
No need for an adapter...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Today it looked like spring (K-3 and FA 43/1.9 Limited):

Michael,

Spring climbs up the mounts slowly, so one can go slightly higher and still have spring flowers week, after week! I discovered that in Boulder Colarado, where one can find mountain flowers and as they disappear, rediscover them at higher elevation.

Crocuses as so delicate and the color is a delicate version of lilac. These are lovely!

Asher

Steve Robinson

A little bump for the K-3. Congrats Nicolas on becoming the K-3 Ambassador. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Here's a little contribution from me on a dark, wet afternoon. K-3, DA* 300 f/4, !/1000 @ f/8, ISO 6400, PP in LR 5.3.

Goose%20III-300343-L.jpg

Steve Robinson - Wet Goose​

nicolas claris

Hi Steve
Thanks.
I'll use more of the K3 in the following months…
For now congrats to you, this nice goose is well captured, we feel wet!
I would have add a light tad of micro contrast on her back (goose is feminine in French) to make the water drops more obvious. And maybe enlighten a bit her head and neck, I'm sure there's room for that. But that's just me!
I like the drop ripples on the water : D