• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hot Rocker Babe! First shots with my new EF 200MM f2.0 L IS!!!

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
The Hot Rocker Babe!

Will_Thompson_C_2010_012K9701.jpg

EF 200MM f2.0 L IS 1/100 f2.0 ISO 400 1DsMKIII 580IIEX w/Stofen​

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Hot Rocker Babe!

Will_Thompson_C_2010_012K9701.jpg

EF 200MM f2.0 L IS 1/100 f2.0 ISO 400 1DsMKIII 580IIEX w/Stofen​

Wll,

Why no Normal lights? That would allow you to use your largest boxes yiu have and better light. You have enough of them! Of course, the Stofen does do a better job than the flash alone, but why did you not use the Normans?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Will,

Nice shot.

I was right - the new lens is well suited for shots of larger birds.

Was the 580EX II with the Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce (I'm assuming that is the item you meant) aimed directly at the subject?

In that situation, what does the Omni-Bounce do for you?

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi, Will,

I have trouble understanding by what "theoretical" process it might do that.

But I'm only a hobbyist snapshooter, so what would I know.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Unlike the straight from the flash head light which is hard and gives harsh shadows, the use of translucent plastic spreads the light so that there are now myriads of non coherent point sources that can illuminate the subject (both directly and by bouncing off nearby surfaces) from different positions. The larger the diffuser, the more shadows get built from a variety of directions, causing softening and broadening of the gradient of transitions between fully illuminated and shadow.

That's why I try to use a cut-off milk carton or tiny light box.

Asher