• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sigma upgrading DSLR SD 15 with DP1 sensor? DP2 and DP3 on way!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
DP_1.png

© Sigma

The DP-1 sleek black DP-1 is not on the shelves yet! Still Sigma has announced that Photokina will show the DP-2 and DP-3 and it appears that the SD 15 will have the DP-1 sensor.

"Sigma’s founder Michihiro Yamaki revealed that not one but two new Sigma compact cameras will be unveiled by the end of 2008. No concrete details were revealed about the possible specification." Source

Why would they leak the idea of a DP-2 and DP_3 when the DP_1 has not even been delivered to the retail outlets? Seems like they should give more details! I wonder if the British got in right? The otehr possibilty is that the lenses will be wider or longer? This is what Fuji did with their MF rangefinder cameras.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ed,

But how do they compete? Surely they are a totally different concept. Olympus 420 is small and for sure the Zuiko lenses will be stellar. Still its 4/3 size sensor where as the DP-1 is 18% larger and a very useful 28 mm! The f4.0 really doesn't detract for landscape use. I'd have preferred a faster lens for sure!

The DP-1 is only 80 oz, 2" thick to slide in a pocket or purse, whereas the heavier Olympus, even with the 25mm Zuico (50mm equivalent) pancake lens, is 3 inches thick and a more clumsy protrusion. No doubt the DP-1 wins on simplicity, resolution and sensor size.

Asher

The DP-1 is only 80 oz, 2" thick to slide in a pocket or purse, whereas the heavier Olympus, even with the 25mm Zuico (50mm equivalent) pancake lens, is 3 inches thick and a more clumsy protrusion. No doubt the DP-1 wins on simplicity, resolution and sensor size.
Asher

The Olympus looks SLIGHTLY more clumsy. However, the DP1 wouldn't really slide into a pocket very well, would it?

The resolution should be fairly equivalent, no? The Olympus costs less and is more flexible.

Olympus E420 ( body only )
5.1 x 3.6 x 2.1 in
13.4 oz

As opposed to:

Sigma DP1
4.5 x 2.3 x 2.0
8.0 oz

If I was the owner of a 4/3 kit, this announcement would make me sit up and take notice!

Both cameras fit into the "diminuitive but not shirt pocket" category for me.

Asher Kelman

Ed,

The very shape of the brick cameras, included in this category would be the Ricohs, makes them less socially disturbing and innocuous.

Asher

The very shape of the brick cameras, included in this category would be the Ricohs, makes them less socially disturbing and innocuous.

Interesting thought. I hadn't thought about the shape of the camera in relations to its inconspicuousness!

After examining the specs on the Olympus, I thought if they wanted to go for that shape, they could just drop the optical viewfinder and make it a full time Live View camera? They could get that boxy shape then!

I'm sure there would be technical issues with how focusing works in Live View, but then again, it would free up space and other constraints so maybe unique solutions could be found!?