• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Dust-Aid Taking Orders

Michael Fontana

pro member
Ken

probably I' ll decide between the arctic butterfly and Dust-Aid. Can you point out the pro and con's of these two cleaning systems. There' s one question, about the archtic butterfly: when cleaning the cap, does one need distilled water? Living in a area with lots of chalk in the water, chalk could become a issue...

Ken Doo

Michael,

I don't think I'm in any better position to point out all the pros/cons of the Artic Butterfly or Dust-Aid (or other systems.) ---I'm sure I'd probably leave something out! (And I have no experience with "chalk" in water). I'd suggest going to the Visible Dust site and the Dust-Aid site and then comparing the features/limitations that are of interest to you. For example, some photographers are concerned with flying with chemicals---and so both of these two systems are good alternatives here.

Again, I've found that each system I've invested in has individual characteristics/abilities worth adding to my cleaning arsenal---enough so that I felt compelled to open my wallet! Still searchng for the magic bullet! Also, you may not be as compulsive and find that a singular cleaning approach provides satisfactory results.

ken

jacob smith

My concern with this dust-aid thing is, after doing one corner and moving on to the next, say dust-aid does pick up some particles. When moving onto the next corner with 2 others remaining, who's to say that the particles already stuck to the dust-aid won't scratch a part of the sensor that's clean and in which it comes in contact with.

I have some stuff on my D70 (which belongs to my father now), but refuse to clean the sensor and just work the stuff out in post processing.
Messing with these sensors is just too risky for the coin I put into them.

Ken Doo

My concern with this dust-aid thing is, after doing one corner and moving on to the next, say dust-aid does pick up some particles. When moving onto the next corner with 2 others remaining, who's to say that the particles already stuck to the dust-aid won't scratch a part of the sensor that's clean and in which it comes in contact with.

I have some stuff on my D70 (which belongs to my father now), but refuse to clean the sensor and just work the stuff out in post processing.

Your first time is always scarey and can be a little disconcerning. Once you lose your virginity cleaning your first sensor, subsequent cleanings can be quite satisfying and almost, ahem, enjoyable.

Anthony Arkadia

Bulb blower is the best way to keep dirt off of your sensor once it is cleaned. It is a shame that Canon builds these cameras in the desert, because it is sad when you pay $7,000.00 for a brand new camera and the sensor it so bad you see dirt at F4!

Jacob,
you never have to deal with the sensor. It's covered by the GLASS. Ever tried to scratch a mirror with a knife? Ceramics (glass is one of them) are known to be one of the hardest materials on Earth known to man.
Do yourself a favor, do the famous "mirror test". Get a pocket mirror, your SO may have some, like the one in the powder-box. In fact, get *the* powder-box", since it provides you with both things you'd need for a test - a glass surface and a powder dust.
Examine the surface to the best of your ability. Then dust it with the powder (one puff is enough:). Then do whatever you're so afraid to do to your sensor. Blow, wipe, vacuum, use the dust-aid.. Have a ball.
Finally, reexamine the surface again. See any scratches?
No?
I thought so...

NOTE: this does not apply to the newest breed of the bodies with the shaking surfaces/sensors. It's them you *really* need to be careful with...

Anthony Arkadia

Dust Aid DOES NOT REMOVE residue...... So why buy it? If it does not blow off with a rocket blower your only other alternatives are Sesnor Klear (Which Canon uses) https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=SK1 or Sensor Swabs with Eclipse or Eclipse E2 (<-- for the 5D) for TIN OXIDE Sensors. http://www.photosol.com/eclipse_e2product.htm.
Anything else is a waste of your money!
Here is a quote from Dust Aid.
Welcome To DUST-AID!
We've all been hunting for a safe and easy way to remove dust from our DSLR sensors and finally the search is over, welcome to the world of DUST-AID.

This product is a perfect solution for removing static stuck dust and regular sensor filter cleaning which helps prevent "welded on" particles. If you already have welded on dust or liquid stains then this product will have no effect. It passes airport security and uses no liquids or canned air.

For best results, follow this procedure..

1: First use the Rocket Blower with the camera facing down at a 45º angle.
2: Then use 3 Sensor Swabs, follow their directions.
3: Then use your Sensor Klear Pen to do the outer parameter of the sensor.

You will achieve optimum results using this method. Once you have the sensor this clean, use a rocket blower once a week too keep residue buildup off of the sensor.

Ray West

Hi Nikolai,

Are not the sensor glass covers - whatever the current correct technical term is - coated with something that can relatively easily be damaged? I think there are some liquids that effect some coatings, and not others.

I used to clean oil from brake shoes many years ago by pouring petrol over them, and setting fire to them. I expect that would work quite nicely - (would need to be the right sort of petrol...)

Best wishes,

Ray

Anthony, Ray

I'm not gonna argue over this. I voted "yeah" on this with my own money. I see the benefits, esp. on the road. If you don't - fine by me, it's your sensor(s) and your $...
Peace :)

Got my copy of Anti-Dust today

Finally arrived. Didn't have chance (or need) to try it yet, but I like the package a lot.

"This sort of things is my bag, baby" :)

So did I - sitting on the table when I walked in!

One problem though! I sent my camera back a week ago for Pentax to figure out what is happening with the battery grip causing banding at high iso. So, I've got dust-aid, but no camera!

So, my reporting on Dust-Aid will come later...

Steve Saunders

I'm not too keen on the sticky pad type cleaners. Apart from concerns about the sticky stuff getting on the sensor, I'd be more worried about pushing a bit of grit into the sensor surface as the nature of these things means you to have to lightly press the tool onto the sensor.

...I'd be more worried about pushing a bit of grit into the sensor surface as the nature of these things means you to have to lightly press the tool onto the sensor.
Steve, did you ever use any of the "wet" methods? You have to push pretty hard, much harder than you do with Dust-Aid.

The stickiness is a totalyy differetn thing. One either believes in it or doesn't. Luckily, there are plenty of alternatives...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
OPF has removed the commercial post here. We'll pretend it didn't occur.

Our opportunities to buy and sell are for photographers here. There's no fee, everyone is delighted that the buyer and seller benefit from the reuse of equipment.

However, we must protect the collegial nature of OPF. This is not a market for bulk purchased items!

Besides, there is too much hype. I don't believe yet that the new vibrating chips do a thing. I'm very skeptical. I feel that the chips can be cleaned carefully by a number of methods and the method you chose should be such that you will do it.

I am impressed by the brushes that get charged with air. The vacuum is no different than a blower, both bring in room air. But so what. Eventually we get the sensor clean. Usually just with the brush, every so often one needs a liquid. No big deal.

Asher

Dust-Aid Field test

My both sensors started to show some dusticles after few recent lens changes, and blower didn't help, so I thought it would be a good chance to try my new Dust-Aid kit.

Good news: I didn't notice any residue :)
Not so good news: it didn't help either :-(

There was some particularly stubborn speck that didn't wont to go away.

Moreover, after few applications (I stomped the sensor a few times) I got the feeling that the smaller particlles are simply rearranged, as the pad picks some and leaves some back, often leaving more than picking.

I ended up using the old good Eclipse swabs.

I will keep the DA in the backpack (I love the tin case:), but it's not gonna be my first choice for this task.

Morale of the story: almost any problem can be solved with the proper usage of the alcohol..:)