• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sean Reviews: An Introduction

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm posting this here while Nicolas, our front pages editor, travels!

Just for now, I'll give a brief introduction to Sean Reid's website http://www.reidreviews.com and why I think it is unique.

Sean's an Event, Wedding, News, Street and Travel photographer (and much more) with many unique characteristics. His work represents a more thoughtful measured (not measurebating) approach to image making. He's not a mass producer of pictures, although he has produced a lot.

Rather he his concerned with how he can express himself through the camera. His reviews show that.

As with OPF, you are assumed to have gathered the well-analyzed physical specifications from one of the technical sites such as dpreview.

His site is recommended and well worth subscribing to.

Asher

Mike Funnell

I can but agree. I've subscribed to his site almost since he first put it up (having seen his work for Michael Reichmann's site, The Luminous Landscape). While his concentration is mostly on things I don't do, and equipment I don't have and am unlikely to acquire, I've learned a lot from reading his work and will certainly be renewing my subscription when it comes due.

He's recently put up reviews of the Leica M8 and the Sony R1, which are well worth reading even if you have no interest in acquiring those particular cameras - just for the general photographic knowledge and approach he brings to the task.

...Mike

ReidReviews

I'll chime in in support. He's back from his summer life riding a big Kawasaki around Nova Scotia, and has added two reviews in the past few days. He has very specific things to say about what affects usability of the newer cameras and how digital cameras are used when you know them really well. Plus he provides lots of b/w images as examples of his personal work. These are a constant source of stimulation, since I have yet to get the strong contrasts and smooth midtones that he routinely demonstrates.

It's worth the money.

scott

Sean Reid

Thanks very much all. I appreciate the comments. The bike is actually a BMW, 101,000 miles and counting.

Cheers,

Sean

William parsons

I am a charter subscriber (I think all the current subscribers actually qualify for this title) to ReidReviews and recommend it highly.

It is the best money I have ever spent on photog. I've bot equipment based on material in Sean's reviews and I continue to do so.

He is thorough, c-a-l-m, presents superb images that reflect real conditions for cameras and lenses, and discusses pros and cons with equal emphasis.