• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Poem and A Photo - 2

John Wolf

poem_photo_02.jpg

Mark Hampton

John,

thanks for posting this - i really like the way the 1st verse can be read with the image - and makes something more than just the two parts... the rest of the words for me just try to nail something that is hinted at...

the picture is strong btw.

strong ideas here. surprised thier are no more comments.

cheers

John Wolf

Thank you, Mark. Really appreciate you comment. This is a photography forum, after all--not one of poetry. So no surprise there.

I've got quite of few of these pairings and am working on a Blurb book. Poetry takes a slowing down that photographs often don't receive, particularly with the abundance of images on the Web. If a picture doesn't grab us immediately, we tend to double-click and move on.

This is probably one or the most accessible poems. Love can easily get lost through inattention and interference by all the stuff of life. But if the foundation is strong, not much is required to restore it. Anyway, I like that theme, and that a poem and photograph can reinforce each other on something so important is a double boon.

John

Charlotte Thompson

John

Loved the write and the photo. They belong together. I also am a poet and wow to find another one here is awesome-

Photography is poetry/poems metaphors for our lives and experience.
I think your poem questions what love is and what it does and can do for us. An age old question for sure. I once read from a very exemplary poet friend of mine Dorothy Doyle Mienko that love is " a hell monkey"
I like how your photo becomes the solid base for communications based oh depth of foundation.

during the
heart-steal

beautiful lines

Charlotte-

John Wolf

Thank you, Charlotte. I appreciate your comments and kinship.

Have you read much Tod Papageorge? He directs the graduate photography department at Yale and is a wonderful photographer. I ask because he's noted for starting life as a poet and switching to photography. His view is that, more than any other arts, they share the same potential, and he photographs with that sensibility. I'm reading his book, Core Curriculum, which is mostly essays on contemporary photographers (HCB, Winogrand, Evans, etc.). I recommend it.

Here's a Google Images link to some of his photos.

I'm now working on adding a section of these pairings to my web site 1. It's been an ongoing project and I've got quite a few. I'll PM you when I released something.

John

Charlotte Thompson

John
Thank you. I will certainly google PapaGeorge .
I also had time to look at your web site. Remarkable art you have! It just screams of a poet/photographer.
I especially like your Japan series though hard to make a choice on which is -
Japan1 #2 #7 and I think Japan 2 #7 just remarkable lighting and subject- I do digital art photography transparency overlays- Asher has a series of my work here in "Art from Found Photographs" Would love to read what you think of this type of work-
It is a pleasure to meet you and I will look forward for your pm on more recent poetry/photography work-

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Charlotte for pointing out John's excellent portfolios on his website. Certainly worth a visit. some of the pictures certainly have a feel for the influence of the teacher-poet-artist-photographer, Tod Papageorge.

............ and thanks so much, John, for your own work. You've an impressive gallery, (and this, BTW, sets a high standard for others to emulate). Your reading of Papageorges book can only give you more challenges in refining your ideas for your new work. Everything we experience can do that. Each good book can represent many shared lifetimes of hard won wisdom, far better than having to make all one's own mistakes. I appreciate getting the recommendation and will seek out a copy.

Asher

John Wolf

Thank you, Asher. Appreciate your generous words.

I'm sure you'll also enjoy the Papageorge book. He's a street shooter, so that's most of his focus. Still, it's always great to read intelligent analysis of any great photographers. And he has the benefit of having known, worked with, and been friends to several of them.

John