• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Soft focus. Again.

Jim Galli

GFdays_03_Imagon5-8s.jpg

Taken on a very hot smokey Aug. 4rth in Goldfield Nevada at the Goldfield Palace.

Rodenstock Imagon 30CM lens on full plate film.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
GFdays_03_Imagon5-8s.jpg

Taken on a very hot smokey Aug. 4rth in Goldfield Nevada at the Goldfield Palace.

Rodenstock Imagon 30CM lens on full plate film.
That changed our social
Is this full plate glass or aircraft roll film cut to that size?

Anyway, Jim, it’s a privilege and thrill to have your photographs liven our pages.

I feel guilty myself in not investing my skill in the film cameras I have. It’s important that we do have folk among us who can preserve the classic skills to make photography in the way it was established as a medium.

The soft focus lens produces in the original the central focus and drop off that skill photography technicians had to perform in darkroom.

However, it is an acquired taste. Today, lenses which are uniform in contrast and sharpness to the edges are considered superior. To me however, these while fine for documenting crime scenes or doing photoprogrammetry to create 3D computer models, for portraits and landscapes, I would commend to all to consider esthetic sense of “treasuring a subject” that soft focus might bring tovan otherwise ordinary scene.

Both Jim Galli and Dr Klaus Schmitt have over the years collected some of the finest soft focus lenses as well as repurposed inexpensive commercial projector lenses to deliver a range of interesting soft focus effects.

Asher

Peter Dexter

An image that is certainly fitting of a Nevada ghost town of yore. And such an obscure subject, an early truck manufactured by the company that would come to be known simply as FWD. They were the very first to engineer an All Wheel Drive system (vs. Four Wheel Drive.)