• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reflections that build an image with impact: Water/glass no matter

Rich Beaubien

I'd like to focus a little further this important but under attended thread on reflections by Rich Beaubien. Look at the bicycle especially. We don't happen to see the optical reflective mechanism that constructed this mage. So let's consider that bicycle the archetype. It's energized, simple and interesting. It only has what's needed. If more is required for a concept, include whatever makes the picture but no more. ADK

Jim Galli's challenge - Car as a frame or mirror! had me thinking about all of the reflection shots I've taken. I don't consider these Photojournalism, Street, nor Documentary but what I call Streetscapes or Cityscapes. I'm not quite sure where to stuff these so I'll put them here in this forum.

This is what is referred to as the "Mother Church." It's the home of the Christian Science Church in Boston. The reflections come off one of the structures in the Christian Science Center. The blue color is from the mural inside.

This is a compound reflection. Chris a fellow photographer is actually standing to my right. So you are seeing the mannequins in the window the buildings across the street, and because the glass is angled the structures down the street on my right.

Sometimes I walk around with my digital camera set in monochrome mode which allows me to think that way during a session. The bicycle is standing in the bottom of a canal and the high key processing gives it a unique look.

It's a bit subtle on white but I often have to remind folks that this is a single photo and is not layered nor a multiple exposure. I'm standing in front of a set of doors shooting through one pane of glass into the large kiosk on the dockside hence the reflections of the Rowes Wharf Hotel and arch. FYI that's the Stad Amsterdam at the dock.

Comments?
Or maybe you have a unique and interesting reflection photo.

--Rich B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne Stratton

I am used to taking "flat", very square and centered pictures. The photography class I am taking is challenging me to change my perspective. Please let me know what you think of these.

4324518243_78cbecff9e.jpg

Wayne Stratton: "Phantom of the Opera"

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Rich Beaubien said:
Sometimes I walk around with my digital camera set in monochrome mode which allows me to think that way during a session. The bicycle is standing in the bottom of a canal and the high key processing gives it a unique look.Where natural reflections combine objects, one can make the final composition by changing one's viewpoint. So let's look for special examples of this where you complete what a chance reflection started by how you shot it.

So this is the archetype we might look at for inspiration. We don't need a whole window/mirror unless your concept demands it. Let's see what's hidden n your archives!

Asher

Mark Hampton

Woman i have never met but photographed

20120101_6358-HDR37.jpg

Grace Kelly - Deka

enjoyable images on the thread - the one above is from an ongoing series - Woman i have never met but photographed - it has been pointed out the subject is not in the image - much like all photographs - it is an image - not the thing.

cheers