• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

B&W Conversion

Kevin Bjorke

It's probably old news to some, but I've really been digging a change to my Photoshop color->B&W methodology. I already wrote about it here in greater detail, the core of it is borrowed from J-P Caponigro.
bwConvIz.jpg
The jist -- I used to just use the channel mixer set to monochrome and would manually balance R,G,& B. Caponigro pointed out that you can just use the mixer to use only ONE channel and then spin the color space around using a Hue/Saturation layer underneath it. Works fabulously.

Okay, call me easily amused.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I use that and it's very versatile. I also like to take the luminance channel of a LAB copy and blend part of that back to taste.

Asher

Kevin Bjorke

What do you gain from the Lab channel, were do you insert it? below the hue/sat

Lab 'L' is a fixed-formula conversion, identical to what you should get from simply converting to 'grayscale'

0.299R + 0.587G + 0.114B

iirc

which in channel mixer slider-speak would be 30/59/11

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I use it for a partial local blend for touch up. However, your formula is good to use too. Thanks for the lesson!

Asher