• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cork trees and fog

Antonio Correia

i-Nq9LMpC-X2.jpg

Antonio Correia

I think so Jerome.
They are indeed harvested regularly as we can see by the numbers written on the trees.
I have being trying to understand the 5 on them ? 2015 ? Apparently they have been harvested recently. In this case the number would disappear in 9 year stime ...

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I was much aware of the number of corked wine bottles still sold in Italy. Surprised as well. I haven't seen one in Australia for years. I doubt if the cork industry could keep up with the demand.

A pleasant scene nicely photographed Antonio.

This may be the first use of 'Use by' dating.

Jerome Marot

I think so Jerome.
They are indeed harvested regularly as we can see by the numbers written on the trees.

In the mean time, I searched a little and found out that Portugal is the largest producer of cork worldwide. I did not know that.

I have being trying to understand the 5 on them ? 2015 ? Apparently they have been harvested recently. In this case the number would disappear in 9 year stime ...

Maybe the number refers to the owner. It should be possible to tell when a tree is ripe enough to harvest by simple examination of the bark.

I especially love the image with the fog and the cork trees. I kind of hate that humans wrote numbers on them pulling the eye away from the natural beauty of the image, but can see the necessity for it as it is an industrial product.

It is interesting though and I also looked it up and apparently the number is the year it was last corked. If it's a 9, it's 2009, if it's a 5, then it's 2005. If it were this year, obviously, it would be 15. I guess they leave some for many years to have a good thickness of cork.

Antonio Correia

esteva.jpg

These are "estevas". Some years ago - kind of 30 or a bit less - we used to drive to the Algarve in August, for holidays with our children. We had a caravan and we camped in Salema camping park.

The love for the sea my son has today, is an heritage of these great days. One month at the beach ! In a row !

When we were driving to the South Portugal - no motorways or dual-carriageways at the time, just normal roads - at about the time we came across Alentejo my son used to say: "It smells Algarve..."

It was the smell exhaled by "estevas" ! It was hot at the time and about lunch time or later. The flowers were attracting insects for pollination... It was very pleasant.

i-DWKtHKf-X2.jpg

esteva.jpg

These are "estevas". Some years ago - kind of 30 or a bit less - we used to drive to the Algarve in August, for holidays with our children. We had a caravan and we camped in Salema camping park.

The love for the sea my son has today, is an heritage of these great days. One month at the beach ! In a row !

When we were driving to the South Portugal - no motorways or dual-carriageways at the time, just normal roads - at about the time we came across Alentejo my son used to say: "It smells Algarve..."

It was the smell exhaled by "estevas" ! It was hot at the time and about lunch time or later. The flowers were attracting insects for pollination... It was very pleasant.

i-DWKtHKf-X2.jpg

This is so gorgeous, and I love how the whole ground is full of foliage... like nobody has trampled it for a long time. What a fantastic photograph! I love it!
Maggie

Antonio Correia

Thank you Maggie ! :)
After writing about the "estevas" I thought why have I talked about them if they are not the subject of the thread ?
In fact, I have been browsing the link Tom provided and I saw the "estevas" there and I recalled the scene.

All images have been taken early morning. There was some fog and some humidity in teh air. The ground was covered with plants but I did not get wet as I was wearing water proof shoes.

As I was walking all over I was leaving traces of the pathes ...

Heath to all ! :)

i-zmVV4hc-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
esteva.jpg

Thanks for introducing the more ignorant of us to this remarkable flower. I found this, The Queen of The Serra

I will have to read up as to whether there are real benefits from it's popular medicinal properties. Yes it seems that its scent that gets engrained in one's psyche!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
You abruptly added this after the exceptional flower! but it deserves a special place!

i-DWKtHKf-X2.jpg

This picture, Antonio, stands on it's own, made unusually lovable by the tree on the right, posing as a most amenable and welcoming fellow!

This allows us to to enter a word that's open to us and welcoming. On e there we can muse about whatever we wish. Here the picture not only projects your ideas, but allows us to carry into this picture, our own!

Bravo!

We seem to be getting more and more tranquil landscapes featuring especially interesting trees. I wonder if it's the time of the year?

Asher