• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Speed tuning or total folly

Will_Perlis

After trying to find all the spots where Adobe hid data files and such I finally just excluded this entire directory and its sub-directories. (I refuse to call them "folders"-- they don't fold and they're not made of paper. And I'm feeling crotchety anyway this morning)

C:\Documents and Settings\Will\Application Data\Adobe

From my virus checker's auto-protection regime.

I haven't bothered to check with a chronograph but there's an obvious difference in building and displaying thumbnails in Bridge CS3, etc.

Caveat!!! I've never had a problem after excluding certain files from the virus checker but you're on your own if you experiment with this trick.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Will, greetings!

For the software challenged, state what you are trying to do:

Speed up PS CS2 or else protect files from damage by your anti-vrus program?

Asher

Will_Perlis

Oh! The idea is to speed up various PS operations. It also works for other big tables viewers like Thumbsplus generate. I don't exclude them from the manual scans but I don't see any need for a scan every time a table is accessed.

One can also exclude RAW files like *.CR2 and *.CRW and *.DNG until someone figures out how to put a nasty payload in those as done with *.JPG and *.DOC, etc.

It's a matter of patience vs safety. My store of patience has been likened to that of a rabid wolverine on amphetamines so I'm willing to circumvent some protection to gain speed.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm not sure Luiz, that defragmentation is that important for Mac OS X.

However, directories might need tuning in Disk Warrior™.

The latter is very effective.

For speed in CS2 maximize the RAM of the computor, have a fast scratch disk, put CS2 on a separate fast hard drive with at least 30% of the hard drive free. I don't know that that 30% has to be defragmented. Also Mac OS X cannot be on a nearly full disk. Ideally I prefer that the desktop should be cleared at least to having files in alias folders.

Also one doesn't want the catalog function of the Apple search engine to be working in the b.g.

Now whether stopping antivirus software activity also helps in OS X, I myself would like to know!

Asher

Will_Perlis

"Now whether stopping antivirus software activity also helps in OS X, I myself would like to know!"

It's going to make an observable difference if you have large tables of thumbnails and metadata. However, it can be difficult to do a controlled comparison because of the OS and disk controller doing caching. I can see a clear difference starting from a box turned completely off and then starting it with the tables and raw files excluded from the AV or not in a previous session.

In any event, I'm not advocating turning off AV completely, just for those big files that are hit repeatedly.