• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Democracy, such as it is, in action

Doug Kerr

The process by which the candidates of the two major US political parties are chosen is nightmarish.

Of course the actual selection of those two candidates will be made at the national conventions of the respective parties, to be held this coming July. There, a vote of a majority of the delegates serves to produce the candidate. It no contender attains that majority on the first round of balloting, there is then a period of "wheeling and dealing" among the delegates to the convention, followed by another round of balloting. And so on and so forth.

For the Democratic Party, of which Carla and I are members, there are 4765 delegates to the national convention, apportioned among the 50 states and various non-states (such as the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico).

New Mexico, albeit larger in geographic size than Poland, by virtue of its small population, and its voting history, is allocated only 43 of those delegates.

As a result of the voting in the recent Democratic Party primary election in New Mexico, 18 of those delegate "seats" (which at that time did not have specific humans filling them) are committed to vote, at the first round of balloting at the national convention, for contender Hillary Clinton. 16 of those seats are committed to contender Bernie Sanders.

Of the 18 Clinton seats, four of them ("district seats") were filled with humans by elections at each of three Democratic Party "district" conventions (recently held). Then four ("at-large" seats) will be filled with "ordinary" humans by an election at the upcoming Democratic state convention, and 2 will be filled by "party bigwigs" - Democratic elected officials and Democratic Party officials - by an election at the state convention.

The remaining 9 seats are not committed to vote for either contender. They will be filled by "party bigwigs" by an election at the state convention.

Now, of the four seats committed to vote for Clinton to be filled at each of the three district conventions, two are reserved for males and two for females. The same is true of the four seats committed to Clinton to be filled at the state convention. This is to seek "gender balance" in the state's overall delegation to the national convention. "Fight sexism with sexism!"

Got that? Isn't this wonderful?

Carla applied to stand for either of the two Clinton/female seats to be awarded at out district convention. Here we see her at that convention "schmoozing" a couple of the convention delegates who were supporters of Clinton (and who would therefor have signed up to vote for the humans to fill "Clinton" seats, both the two male ones and the two female ones).

G05616-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla at full schmooze

Of course, her face is largely obscured by - well, you know what.

To facilitate this schmoozing, and in the interest of civility of the social intercourse, the Clinton and Sanders supporters were asked to take seats at tables on opposite sides of the center aisle. The boundary wasn't too clear, and Carla inadvertently approached a table of Sanders supporters to greet them and to pass out "flyers" promoting her candidacy for a delegate position. She was very rudely turned away. Shame, shame!

In any case, sadly, Carla did not win a "district" national convention delegate position. She was beaten out by two very nice and very competent woman who were well known in local political circles and in fact were from the county in which the district convention was held, which county (by virtue of its population) had many more delegates (e.g., electors) to the district convention than from our county (where Carla is better known).

But Carla is also eligible (now that she wasn't elected to a "district" seat) for either of the two "at large" Clinton/female delegate slots to be awarded at the state convention (this coming Saturday, 2016.06.25, in Albuquerque).

I'll let you know what happens.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
For the red hat alone she deserves a delegate seat.

Damn, she could help trump even more and help balance the ticket!

Asher

Doug, I love this image so much especially because of the girl on the table with her eyes closed... and a bit of an expression!!! Wow.. says so much. What a catch!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
A red hat to some seems to be as good a reason as any to vote for. (Sorry Doug, I just woke. My grammar is still asleep)
Why does democracy have to be so complicated? 'Hands up' seems a simpler way.
In my house a guided democracy works. Christine and I discuss the possibilities; then she tells me what to do. Seems fair.

A great story to accompany the photo, Doug.

Xx

Doug Kerr

Hi, Maggie,

Doug, I love this image so much especially because of the girl on the table with her eyes closed... and a bit of an expression!!! Wow.. says so much. What a catch!
Indeed. Just a lucky catch, in this case - it was hard to catch Carla as she flitted from table to table, and I had to shoot as best I could!

We also note that the girl Carla is taking to has her Hillary patch on upside down!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

A red hat to some seems to be as good a reason as any to vote for. (Sorry Doug, I just woke. My grammar is still asleep)
Why does democracy have to be so complicated? 'Hands up' seems a simpler way.

Well, it's complicated because the process consists of layer after layer crafted over the years to give an advantage to one camp or another over other camps!

In my house a guided democracy works. Christine and I discuss the possibilities; then she tells me what to do. Seems fair.

Sounds good to me.

A great story to accompany the photo, Doug.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

On Saturday, 2016.06.25, the Democratic Party of New Mexico State Convention was held in Albuquerque, N.M. Its main task was to elect humans to 11 of the 43 seats of the New Mexico delegation to the Democratic National Convention, where the party's candidate for president of the united states will be chosen. Different numbers of those seats has already been dedicated, by the results of the New Mexico primary election, to initially vote at the national convention, to the two contenders for that candidacy, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and US Senator (Vermont) Bernie Sanders.

To not "bury the lead", Carla was standing for a position for a Hillary Clinton seat in that delegation (she was eligible for any one of three seats) but did not get sufficient votes to be elected. But she conducted her candidacy in great style, and I am very proud of her.

There were about 510 delegates (and a few puppies, and one parrot) present at the convention (out of about 810 that had been elected out of their respective counties). That turnout was a little disappointing. (But some were sick, some had to fly to Oregon to take care of a sick parent, and some . . .).

Any given delegate could only vote for the occupants of either Clinton or Sanders seats, the delegate indicating his or her choice at registration for the convention. The delegate would then receive a packet of ballots for the various seats committed to that contender. (There were approximately equal numbers of "Clinton" and "Sanders" supporters at the convention, as determined by the ballot choices made at registration.)

Here we see Carla as the one of the officers of the convention introduced the candidates for the various delegation "seats".

G05738-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla the candidate

Here we see her in line to cast her ballots one class of delegate seats:

G05751-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Carla in line to vote

The small white paper under her left thumb is my convention delegate ID badge; she was carrying my ballots to the ballot boxes (as my walker-arounder is not working at full capacity these days), and she had to show my ID badge to cast my ballots.

Here we see the election "teller" announcing a ballot for Carla. (The names on the ballots are read out loud so that anyone present can conduct a duplicate tally to "double check" the official result.)

G05761-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: "For Carla Kerr"

The fellow to our right of the "teller" observes each ballot and confirms that the teller notes and announces the name properly.

To our left, the "election clerk" (beige jacket) tallies the results on a large sheet of paper. The fellow on the blue shirt double-checks his work.

Carla's failure to be elected to a delegate seat was only one of our disappointments at the convention.

At the end of the general session, before the voting began, the keynote speaker, a New Mexico State Senator, succinctly emphasized the need for the Democratic party, once its candidate for president is determined, to come together to work for that candidate's election.

He commended both "camps", the supporters of Clinton and Sanders, for their vigorous pursuit of their contenders' candidacies, and for bringing about a spirited debate on issues of importance to the American people.

He concluded by asking for a round of cheers from both camps. He first asked for this from the Sanders camp, and a vigorous round of cheers ensued.

He then called for a round of cheers from the Clinton Camp. A vigorous round of cheers ensued, disappointingly salted with numerous "boos".

I leave it to the individual reader what to make of this. As for moi, res ipsa loquitur.

On the plus side, several of the delegates commented that if a vote were held on the matter of most stylish hat, Carla would win in a landslide.

In any case, it was a grand adventure.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Carla is now "known"! Next time, folk will congratulate each other for being alive and well 4 years later and will welcome you both as if they new you for years!
Send them cards and keep in touch!

I believe Carla will win them over!

Asher