• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Capture One not running on Vista

Frank Werner

Hi,

I installed yesterday Windows Vista Ultimate. Today I tried to install C1 Pro and get the message that the OS is not supported....
I looked at the website of Phase One and saw not one single word about Vista... Can this be? Is Phase One missing out a serious thing again?
Has anybody seen a beta or a patch for Vista?

Thanks
Frank

Frank,
All you can do is raise a "Support Case" <http://support.phaseone.com/> with Phase One and ask them; as you're probably aware the P1 forum is still closed.
With Vista almost out ( I got a promo from Amazon this morning, offering pre-ordering for the 30 January launch) it's quite bizarre that there is not a patch/upgrade already available for a new major OS change that everyone's known about, with many running pre-release betas, for some time.
Be interested to hear what response you get, if you do enquire.
John.

Denis de Gannes

Windows Vista Problem

Why would Microsoft implement an OS thet cannot run software that run on Windows XP. Does this mean that my third party software that runs on Windows XP will become redundant. I will not purchase Vista unless it supports all existing software that runs on Win Xp.

Frank Werner

Hi,
I opend a support case but they only said some were able to install it under Vista. Thanks to a hint of somebody at dpreview I found out how to use C1 under Vista:

The problem is the installation program.

1. Unpack Files of zip file into a directory
2. Look for the SetupPRO/LE.exe File
3. Right Click on the File, choose Properties
4. Choose Tab Compatibility
5. Select Compatibility for Windows XP Service Pack 2.
6. Install
Programm itself funs after its installed without any further adjustments.

Hope this helps people with the same inital problem as me.

Frank

Frank Werner

Additionally info.

The first time you run C1 it asks you for the folder where it should store the previews. This question shows up everytime you start C1. To stop this behavior, click right on C1 and run it once as Adminstrator. Choose the Preview Folder and it will remember it.

The same goes with the Registration Dialog of Photoshop CS2. After you installed it it will ask you every time to register it. Run it once as Admin, click Never register or register and it will remember!

Thanks for the info, Frank.
Many will come searching for this thread as inevitably the change to Vista is made.
Hopefully the agonizingly long awaited V4 of C One will handle it without any problems.
John.

Why would Microsoft implement an OS thet cannot run software that run on Windows XP.
For the same reason XP does not run all software that ran on 16-bit Windows. There is only profit for a finite amount of backwards compatibility. Past that there is no point in providing it.

Does this mean that my third party software that runs on Windows XP will become redundant.

One day. 32-bit software is already beginning the journey to obsolescence and will be junk like 16-bit software too soon.

This is like Ford/GM/Toyota/Honda/... not selling replacement parts for cars that were made too long ago. The world moves on.

One should also expect some problems to occur in a new OS.

enjoy your day,

Sean

Cem_Usakligil

Sean has explained it very well indeed. Companies will only support older products up to an economically calculated break-even point, beyond which the product will start the final phase of its lifecycle (ie no official support).

FWIW, I do not recommend anyone to switch to Vista just yet unless there is a real and urgent need to do so. As the common sense goes in this business, switch to it only after the first service pack has been issued and widely acccepted by the (paying beta) testers (ie early adopters).

Just my $ 0.02

Cheers,

Harvey Moore

Another cause for this type of problem is programmers utilising undocumented Windows functions that are not carried over to a new OS version.

Denis de Gannes

For the same reason XP does not run all software that ran on 16-bit Windows. There is only profit for a finite amount of backwards compatibility. Past that there is no point in providing it.

One day. 32-bit software is already beginning the journey to obsolescence and will be junk like 16-bit software too soon.

This is like Ford/GM/Toyota/Honda/... not selling replacement parts for cars that were made too long ago. The world moves on.

One should also expect some problems to occur in a new OS.

enjoy your day,

Sean

Agreed I do not expect software written for Windows 95 or Windows 2000 to be supported but surely Windows XP.

Ray West

I have not looked into Vista, but I believe M$ are trying to make it such that the only files that can be in the program directory are the program files, from the initial install. You will not be encouraged to write data there, including .ini files, and the like. It will mean every piece of software installation/structure to be rewritten to reap the benefits. A friend of mine watched most of the two day UK msdn webcast last Friday/Saturday, and was impressed with Vista's capabilities, but he thought the M$ presentation was pretty amateurish. As Cem mentioned, probably as well to give it a year or so, wait for the major bugs to get ironed out. Afaik, there will be no further official support for windows 2000.

Best wishes,

Ray

Cem_Usakligil

Speaking of SP1 for Vista, here is an announcement stating that it will probably be released in October 2007. The MS announcement says that the focus of SP1 will be on bug fixing and addressing the high impact issues, meaning that there are some in Vista and that MS admits it. My advice is to wait till XMas this year, especially if you need a new PC. By that time, the SP1 will be out, much more s/w packages will have been ported to Vista, many more drivers will be available, the new generation faster h/w will have been released to the market, etc.

Cheers,