• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Easy stealing during DIGITAL ERA !

kombizz kashani

Easy stealing during DIGITAL ERA

During the film era, there was not that many cases about stealing images compare to our new era of digital photography.

These days the crooked people under the good name of Pro-Photographer could steal any images thru internet very easily. Then they could change them little bit and present them as their own hard work to few fools.

I DO have a proof.

I managed to caught a thief during my daily critic/comment writing among images. [(K=37501) on 3/3/2006]

Then I managed the spot this.

http://www.usefilm.com/Photo_Forum/11/1012217/

Now examine those images for yourself and judge if I am right in my reason.

Good luck.

Editor's Comment:

It is extraordinary in OPF for any thread to be closed. Here it was done as an emrgency measure pending evaluation. Censorship is an antithesis to an open forum.

Still, we have to balance free uncensored speech with the right of a person not to be maligned when there is no definite proof of wrongdoing. This is a forum and open to any serious photographer. We aim to be helpful and not to denigrate or damage another person. I have to spend more time on this subject because it touches on two major opposing ethics. The right to express an opinion and discuss openely and the right to one's good name.

We do not censor, delete or close discussion see the TOS in the FAQ at the front of OPF . However, the broad subject referenced is valid but the specific I have no knowledge of.

I do not know the facts. I have not checked the references. So I cannot do anything but protect the reputation of a person who is unkown to OPF. Therefore, this entire thread must be considered speculatve comment under free speech and not any claim or proof of wrongdoing by anyone. We can ask, be concerned, wonder, question, be surprised and more. However the term "thief" must be discounted and cannot be intepreted as fact unless one is a direct witness and it is one's owns work that one sees is not licensed. While each contributor is responsible for their own writing, OPF does not support any opinions on other people's morality or ehtics when they are not a public figure where such criticism is in the USA protected free speech.

So I am going to be reopening this thread and ask for members of OPF to have care and insight.

The subject of stealing can be discussed but one cannot without complete proof denigrate anyone. This is what separates OPF from all other fora. We are a community of considerate photographers interested in the best in photography. Of course we want rights to be protected and that is always fair to discuss with all the aggression one can muster. However, in that context, we cannot wrap a particular person. So I may separate this thread to two threads. One a puzzle to be solved. Something of interest. This particular case and then separately the aweful problem of plagarism.

So while I commend the author for opening a discussion of importance, I have to draw a line around the character of someone we really do not know to judge and therefore must, at this time be considered in a separate context. So reread this entire thread in this new perspective. I am not King Solomon. I am not a "Guru, with perfect judgemnt of right and wrong not the expert in all matters of anything. So I'm the "Unguru", but one with responsibility! So I have to intervene in this case and support the caution of Nicolas Claris who brought this matter to my attention.

Thanks for your understanding.

So I'll reopen this thread shortly as two separate non-related threads[.

Asher

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave New

The fellow that posted that image could have avoided a lot of unpleastantries by identifying it for what it is, a "photo illustration", and attributed the original photographer of the female appearing in the collage. Just because his bio indicated that he felt free to use 'found photos' in his work doesn't free him from asking permission, and giving credt, where credit's due.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
If you "google" the firstname + name of that photographer, you may find as 1st link:

JPG Magazine: Photos: "a brief moment of sun" by dan mccain
Also by dan mccain · Joelle waiting for the train ... Please let us know if you think this photo is not appropriate for our community and why. ...
jpgmag.com/photos/38532…

Following that link gets you to a blank page… then if you click on "cached page" you'll see that there are other photos of a girl waiting for the train…

But are they all stolen ?

You may be very prudent when publicly post such accusation… you may be right but…

Although I agree that thieves may be - at least- discovered… just need to be sure.

Here at OPF we have no proof and we have to be and stay reliable…

[EDIT] this post was written prior I closed the thread waiting for Asher's moderation.
This thread being reopened, I wish to say that I would not cancel one word from Asher's red writing above.[EDIT/]

Last edited:

Ray West

I have googled as far as I can, but now I can not find any reference - i.e. url - for either of the photos, although Kombizz has two thumbnails on his site, but imnsho, they should both be linked to the original sites. However, from the comments on Kombizz's site, it appears that others may have found the original photos and compared them. If it is as they seem to say, then afaik, it is theft. It is suggested that Mr McCain has stolen another photographer's image of a girl, a quite beautiful image, and pasted it on top of a blurred subway train background. I suspect from the comments on Kombizz's site that this was done without the original image copyright owners permission.

However, in turn, I think Kombizz should link to the original images, and get permission from the original copyright owner's too, not just copy thumbnails to his own site. It would help if he had meaningful links and got rid of the intrusive google/whatever advertising. I found a web site for Mr. McCain, but it was virtually impossible to navigate.

As Asher and Nicolas has said, we do things differently here. Its a pity it happens elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Ray